Almost But Not Quite! And a Question or Two

Turningleaf

Reaction score
This is my first year for Archery. Today I came very close but as the doe fed from left to right she just was just a little bit out of my comfort range so I opted to let her go. My question you all is actually two fold. I keep bumping deer on the walk into my stand in morning and 2 times the deer are actually already there. I'm walking in at 5:30am. How early do you guys walk in to your stands? Second question. I had to finally get down from my stand tonight well after dark. There were still 2 deer feeding and I bumped them out when I left. How long would you wait to leave the woods if you had deer feeding very slowly in and around youre area?

Snowball271

Reaction score
I have had the same problem regarding morning hunts. I have a ten acre or so field I walk over to get to my stands on the edge of the field or in timber. Going there for an afternoon is fine but they are usually in field in morning or when I leave stand at night. Like one shot said I found a different route. Still not perfect but if you have to walk any decent distance you always have a chance of bumping one.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
I absolutely hate bumping deer on the way in in the morning....:mad:

I assume you are talking about the same stand location morning and evening. My guess is that you are set up on a real good feeding area that they are using and sticking around all night... they show up in the evening and poke around and feed/bed until the daylight and then move to a day-bedding area. You might want to find an alternate morning stand location somewhere between the feeding and daytime bedding area. Or just concentrate on evening hunts until the rut kicks in and deer are moving more.

medrhunter

Reaction score
If other options don't work you could try waiting till legal shooting and SLOWLY still hunt in. You may get a shot if the wind is right.

Squints

Reaction score
If other options don't work you could try waiting till legal shooting and SLOWLY still hunt in. You may get a shot if the wind is right.
I use this method all the time. It works great, and like he said, you may get a shot if the wind is right and you play your cards well. Good luck.

Latest posts