ADK bucks age

Mikejd

Reaction score
I Just got the results from Deer age.com for the Buck I shot in the ADK this past November. They use the Cemmentum Annuli tooth aging. I had to send them the 2 front incisors from his jaw lower jaw. The Bucks age was 7 1/2. Not bad I had guessed 61/2.

mowbizz

Reaction score
So...what is the average life span of a relatively unpressured, whitetail? When does an unpressured buck die of old age barring other causes like highway/road death or predation?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have not heard of too many over seven or eight years of age. I shot one in Canada that they said was 10.5 based on the teeth, which were just about ground down to the gums in the rear.

Mikejd

Reaction score
If you read the book Adirondack trackers by Jim Massett, Joe Dinitto, Steve Grabowski. I believe somewhere in Joe's chapter he said that the average age of his bucks are I believe 7 or 8 years old. So as trackers you have to assume that they are shooting the older bucks around since you are killing deer based on the track rather then rack size. Also in.places that most of us hunt with bad winters I am sure the life expectancy is lower.

Here is an article I always liked. Especially when guys say we need to cull spike horns.

Mikejd

Reaction score

mowbizz

Reaction score
Interesting and informative! Thanks!

mowbizz

Reaction score
The 2 notable bucks in my area that I have gotten on cam since 2015 when they were already very big and mature, are, I believe, still here in 2020. This might be the year to dedicate all the time possible to staying in my stand as many hours as possible to get a shot at one of these old guys! I think I need to adjust my 2 stands locations slightly to better my chances...as so far I have never glimpsed them in person from the ground blind nor the ladder stand. Here’s hoping! I am fortunate to have a property and neighbor’s property, with permission to hunt, that is literally minutes outside my door.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The 2 notable bucks in my area that I have gotten on cam since 2015 when they were already very big and mature, are, I believe, still here in 2020. This might be the year to dedicate all the time possible to staying in my stand as many hours as possible to get a shot at one of these old guys! I think I need to adjust my 2 stands locations slightly to better my chances...as so far I have never glimpsed them in person from the ground blind nor the ladder stand. Here’s hoping! I am fortunate to have a property and neighbor’s property, with permission to hunt, that is literally minutes outside my door.
The problem is that they are going by the one stand when you are in the other. Now...if I were to sit in the other one then we would be sure to score! 😃

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, but only hunt the stands on the right days and at the right time. I've found that hunting too hard and too early tips the big boys off and they will keep most of their movement to night time.

Not sure if you are hunting them early with the bow and then later with the gun or not.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yes, but only hunt the stands on the right days and at the right time. I've found that hunting too hard and too early tips the big boys off and they will keep most of their movement to night time.

Not sure if you are hunting them early with the bow and then later with the gun or not.
I didn’t get out much in bow (sept 15 - dec 15) because we were building an addition. I went out once in muzzle and maybe 5 times in rifle. Not nearly enough because of the addition. This year I should be able to hunt a lot more. I do have a prevailing wind problem and that’s why I have to move my stands. I really didn’t place them too well when I first placed them. The ground blind is very mobile but I have a huge 2 man ladder stand that is pretty much right on top of the scrape that the old bucks hit (mostly at night but in pre rut and full rut, they can be there any time (usually when I’m not 🤣)
Some tactical changes will need to be made with some serious brushing in because it’s a tight area with lots of brush and not much open except for toward the small swamp behind a beaver pond a hundred yards away which is where one of the big guys approaches the scrape from. I don’t believe he crosses water but more skirts the water and circles around the back of the swamp. The area is great because everything comes through there to sniff the scrape. I call it the joe Biden scrape because very animal stops for a sniff! 😂

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I wish I had my Maine buck aged. I think he was an older buck. His antlers had great mass.

JDK

Reaction score
They didn’t take a tooth when you tagged it?

Mikejd

Reaction score
I wish I had my Maine buck aged. I think he was an older buck. His antlers had great mass.
It is pretty cool to know. Unless I shoot an average buck that I can guess his age I will always do it from now on.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Pretty cool to know. I meant to pull teeth from a couple bucks in the past but forgot before dropping them off at the taxidermist. Still kick myself over that.

Latest posts