Adirondack Muzzle loader trip.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
The last few years my brothers and I have been making a trip out to the Adirondacks to hunt the early muzzle loader season. The first year we were surprised by how little deer sign we were finding compared to what we were used to finding in the areas of Maine that we hunt but by the end of the trip we were able to get into some deer. None that came home with us though. Year 2 more of the same, but the pieces were starting to come together a bit more. This year we went into the trip with similar expectations. It's a good warm up hunt. An opportunity to stretch your legs and see some new country and some pretty big woods.

Day one started with us breaking up into a couple groups and hunting separate sides of a good size block of woods. Less than an hour in I hear the crackle on the radio and Shooterbuck had a doe down. He had just finished his mile or so hike in on a trail to get into the area he was planning to hunt. While climbing up a knob a grouse flushed up and at the same time a small doe ran by at very close range but wouldn't stop for a shot. While letting that dust settle he noticed a bigger doe a little further up the hill. She crumpled when hit in the high shoulder/neck with a Barnes bullet.

Since we'd had minimal luck out there in the past I decided to make the trek over to help with the drag. I had a mile of busting brush just to get to him and then had the privileged of helping with another mile of dragging.

That afternoon it was raining hard. Rather than trying to hunt through that, we got the deer all butchered and packaged and in a freezer.

Day two with only 3 guys with tags we decided to all hunt in a similar area but split out to opposites sides of a mountain road. Things happened fast as I bumped a deer up out of a bed less than 100 yards from the road. Shortly after that I could hear another deer blowing from the other side where the other guys had headed. I slowly poked along through the woods trying to keep myself between the deer I had got up out of the bed and the one(s) I heard blowing as I figured they'd try to get together.

A few minutes later I spot a deer right around the same time it spots me. We have a short stand off facing head on at 30-40 yards. She's giving me a few head bobs trying to make me out. I have my cross hairs on her neck but I'm hesitant to take the shot knowing I only have one and I'm standing without any support. I lower the gun for a second to look to see if there are any other deer with her hoping there may be a buck and come back up on her as she starts to turn just enough to give me a quartering to shot. She took a few bounds and piled up.

This time it was only a 150 yard drag back to the road. Again we had her all butchered and in the freezer in time to watch the Patriots later that afternoon.

Over night it had cooled off and the last couple tag holders went out for one last go of it the next morning. No luck for them but buck sign was starting to show up a little more. After that we packed up and started our drive back home.

Attachments

Shooter Buck

Reaction score
I dont have much to add since both mornings i went out we had deer down early but here are a few of my pics

Huge beaver lodge
DSC01875.jpg

View of my shot. Looks really thick but i had a good hole to weave one through.
IMG_0743.jpg

All I saw was smoke after the shot. I didnt hear or see anything so i figure she dropped or I whiffed. Got to the top of the hill and there was no tracking needed.
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Nice job guys, thanks for sharing!

That beaver lodge looks like nature’s equivalent of an apartment building, or maybe its just a very successful beavers mansion(?)

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Congrats - great trip report! Love the pics and the stories. Congratulations on the twi doe.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Great write up and nice pics. Congrats on a successful trip.

So do you have to butcher the deer before you cross state lines because of CWD and EHD ?

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Great write up and nice pics. Congrats on a successful trip.

So do you have to butcher the deer before you cross state lines because of CWD and EHD ?
No bones or brain matter from deer can come in or out of NY so we did all of our butchering out there and brought everything home packaged and frozen.
My understanding is CWD got into some of the domestic deer farms in NY and this was a precaution that was taken years ago because of it.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Nice job. I just spent four days up there with 12 of us and not 1 guy saw a single deer. Very strange.
We covered some ground to between all of us.
Not sure if it was the temps, on Sturday before the rain was warm as hell. Then the rains came in. Woods where nice an quiet but sign was short supply. More sign around last month when I was up.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Nice job. I just spent four days up there with 12 of us and not 1 guy saw a single deer. Very strange.
We covered some ground to between all of us.
Not sure if it was the temps, on Sturday before the rain was warm as hell. Then the rains came in. Woods where nice an quiet but sign was short supply. More sign around last month when I was up.

This is our 3rd year heading out that way. The learning curve has been something. The lack of sign in what are seemingly good deer woods is amazing to me. Very few oaks Some beach trees but I didn't see any nuts. Plenty of pinch points, hill tops and swamp edges with no sign where you'd expect to see it.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
This is our 3rd year heading out that way. The learning curve has been something. The lack of sign in what are seemingly good deer woods is amazing to me. Very few oaks Some beach trees but I didn't see any nuts. Plenty of pinch points, hill tops and swamp edges with no sign where you'd expect to see it.
Do you have to apply for the doe permits, or do they just come with a license?

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Archery and muzzle loader seasons in the Adirondack zones are open to any sex.

With the NY big game license you get a deer and bear tag. It covers small game and ducks (still need the federal stamp) The muzzle loader tag is separate and good for either sex. Around $130 for a non resident.

Last edited:

Latest posts