Acorns

WetWool

Reaction score
Good or bad ? Where I hunt in Ct. abundant acorns means not much deer movement.

Everyone has different opinions, I actually don't think I see as many deer in big crop years for the reasons you suggest, they might not move 50' in a day because they don't need to and you bump them out before even seeing them, need to get in early and stealthy. I have one stand that sits in an oak flat leading to an overgrown field, good rainy day in Maine to hang a camera.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Find the most active tree(s) and hunt them. I'm not sure exactly why but it seems deer have preferred trees even in years with lots of mast crop. Maybe it's close to bedding or a more secure area to feed?

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Get a rake. Clear under the trees near your stand. The deer will go to those spots. Easier pickings.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I can’t find squat for acorns where I live .
No whites or reds?

In areas where I’ve been the whites dropped early and went quick. The northern reds are dropping. The chestnuts I have are a couple weeks from dropping.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
How about water? A lot of streams I’ve seen are dried up this year.
I always count on what an old timer told me a handful of years ago...... "It'll never snow in New England before the beaver ponds are full." If you actually pay attention to that, the old fella is spot on.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
No whites or reds?

In areas where I’ve been the whites dropped early and went quick. The northern reds are dropping. The chestnuts I have are a couple weeks from dropping.
The only acorns with any decent amount I've seen or heard dropping are in my yard hitting my truck and garage roof. I found 3 red oaks that dropped very few acorns in one spot. It looks like someone put a bungee cord on a rototiller throttle and let it go in circles.

I've talked to a couple other buddies of mine that have been scouting and they're finding the same thing.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have a decent size group of white oak above my house that's been dry for 4 years. There's two other decent groups of white oaks on the other side of town that two buddies hunt hard. They haven't had acorns on those whites in at least 6 years according to what they told me last weekend.

I remember the last time we had a poor mast crop like this. I want to say 2007 maybe. There was no food up high on the mountains. The does were down in the fields and swamps eating what they could find and the bucks followed. There were some really big bucks killed that year. I'm wondering if this season is shaping up to be one of those.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I’ve seen exactly 2 acorns on the ground in SW VT. No apples to speak of on most trees around me either. I would have to think that the deer will have to be much more active to find food than the past several years.

WetWool

Reaction score
Get a rake. Clear under the trees near your stand. The deer will go to those spots. Easier pickings.

Knowing how Maine does things, they'd probably consider it baiting like apples!o_O

I think the lack of water is more of an issue than the abundance of acorns where I am, will be interesting to see what the cameras tell if anything.

JJM6

Reaction score
Walked one of my area's in SE NH yesterday. The area is usually polluted with them. May have seen a half dozen on the ground from this year.

Latest posts