A little discussion for the still-hunters among us

JumpShooter

Reaction score
From a high level, this sums it up perfectly! I'm still working on #5. I usually pick up the horizontal line, legs or a tail flicker...or a white flag
Thank you sir!! However, I really cannot take credit for it!! That is info that has been handed down through our family since forever!! I also forgot the last two and they are probably more important than the rest of them, or at least as important!! 11) Stay focused!! Concentrate on the job at hand and don't let your mind wander to think about anything else or you won't be ready to react when you jump that buck. 12) Be relentless!! Refuse to lose, take each day in the woods as a learning experience that you are just honing your skills!!

Mikejd

Reaction score
Thank you sir!! However, I really cannot take credit for it!! That is info that has been handed down through our family since forever!! I also forgot the last two and they are probably more important than the rest of them, or at least as important!! 11) Stay focused!! Concentrate on the job at hand and don't let your mind wander to think about anything else or you won't be ready to react when you jump that buck. 12) Be relentless!! Refuse to lose, take each day in the woods as a learning experience that you are just honing your skills!!
I agree 100% these are the most difficult. Especially in places with low deer numbers. Sure it's easy on day 1 but how about day 7 when you haven't seen a deer all week. That's when most guys blow it. I must admit myself included.

One of my dad's things is he stands still in between steps long enough to make a deer move that may be in your field of veiw. Only still. Sometimes a minute sometimes 30 depending on how hard to pick through the area. I remember 1 time when I was about 11 yrs old. Just about 30 yrs ago. I was tagging along with dad. My younger brother as well. He was about 8 at the time. We'll would you know at one point dad turns around to see me still aways back. I pointed to.my ear as if I heard something ( obviously something he had not) well no more then 30 seconds I see him raise his gun and boom. Shot fired. I believe that if I had not heard that we may have busted that buck before he had gotten that shot. Just to add this is in the ADK where it wasn't easy for a kid to pay attention as we rarely even saw a deer.

JumpShooter

Reaction score
I agree 100% these are the most difficult. Especially in places with low deer numbers. Sure it's easy on day 1 but how about day 7 when you haven't seen a deer all week. That's when most guys blow it. I must admit myself included.

One of my dad's things is he stands still in between steps long enough to make a deer move that may be in your field of veiw. Only still. Sometimes a minute sometimes 30 depending on how hard to pick through the area. I remember 1 time when I was about 11 yrs old. Just about 30 yrs ago. I was tagging along with dad. My younger brother as well. He was about 8 at the time. We'll would you know at one point dad turns around to see me still aways back. I pointed to.my ear as if I heard something ( obviously something he had not) well no more then 30 seconds I see him raise his gun and boom. Shot fired. I believe that if I had not heard that we may have busted that buck before he had gotten that shot. Just to add this is in the ADK where it wasn't easy for a kid to pay attention as we rarely even saw a deer.
You are right!! Staying focused in areas where deer densities are low can be difficult. That is why you don't want to waste too much time in areas that don't hold deer. Something that way too many hunters do. Deer in the big woods live in pockets and so many people never find them pockets because they are spending to much time hunting in the hard woods and other open areas where they can see!! Deer, especially big bucks only go into the open areas at night. During the day deer live where there is water and cover, not too far from a food source. In mostly evergreens and mixed growth, where you can't see very far. If they would concentrate on hunting them areas, they would see more deer.

Sounds like your Dad has the hunt slow and react fast part of stalking down pack. Good for him!!

JumpShooter

Reaction score
Been seeing deer just about every time we go anywhere!! Seen eleven this evening in one of our fields!! It has been a great winter for the deer so far!! I hope it stays that way!!
I know people are complaining about the lack of snow for snowmobiling, but I would rather have the mild Winter to help our deer herd!! Besides, you can still ride four wheelers just about anywhere, and because its been so warm, we've been riding the horses more this winter than anytime I can remember!!

JumpShooter

Reaction score
Just got back from snowmobiling all day with a group of friends!! We have been putting it off because here it is February 14th and we still only got 8 inches on the ground!! We don't usually ride the sleds if we don't have at least a foot but we couldn't wait any longer!! The good news is we put on a little over 80 miles today and we saw 31 deer, and they all looked good and healthy!! We only got six more weeks of Winter, I hope it stays like this!! There is enough snow to sled and that's all we need!! I rather have the deer!!

JumpShooter

Reaction score
Went for a six hour horseback ride this morning and covered quite a bit of ground. Seen 14 deer!! We are seeing deer just about every where we go and they all look good and healthy!!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Great thread! I've only been hunting seriously for 8 years. I'm learning a ton every season. I want to be a great tracker, but to be honest, tracking frustrates me. I'm finding I like stalking much more!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Great thread! I've only been hunting seriously for 8 years. I'm learning a ton every season. I want to be a great tracker, but to be honest, tracking frustrates me. I'm finding I like stalking much more!
I read this thread every year.

I've hunted "seriously" my entire life....but EXACTLY the same way every year. It was only a few years back I decided I'd "reinvent" myself, and stop shooting the standard VT 3-pointers and does. I shot a lot of them, and loved every single one, but it was time for something new. Threads like this really helped move that process along, and the input I've rec'd from the guys on this forum has been invaluable.

PaMass

Reaction score
Awesome thread.I try to still hunt in Pa. mainly in this late flintlock season.It is tough for me to go slow and crunchy leaves and snow are tough anywhere.I shouled have seen three deer the other day that I walked by bedded..I should have scanned better with my binoculars..I also hunt in very rocky areas that make it hard since I literally have to step from rock to rock,but the deer feed in there where there are acorns..

Latest posts