A few Northern NH moose shed antlers.

Browseline

Reaction score
Another fellow and I went up to Northern NH last Friday and Saturday. Didn't find much, but got plenty of exercise and plenty wet with heavy rain, fog and wind off and on both days. Still lots of snow in some places over 2500 ft. I did find a couple new spots that had some nice buck rubs. The dog was never trained to find antlers and was just along for some fun.

Attachments

JDK

Reaction score
The larger shed is very nice.

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
What types of areas do you look in? I have no idea what moose wintering habitat is. Do they migrate at all during the year?

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Nice antlers Browse, looks like the larger one was starting to double palm. Thanks for sharing.

I've been itching to get out up to camp but the gates won't be open for another 3 weeks or so. I went out in mid April here in northern VT. Found some sign from the winter but no antlers, although there was still up to a foot of snow in places that could have kept some covered. Much like you I found some buck rubs, a few nice ones on 6" spruce and fir trees. Certainly worth a swing through in November.

Browseline

Reaction score
What types of areas do you look in? I have no idea what moose wintering habitat is. Do they migrate at all during the year?
They can be most anywhere. I've found them in logging roads, on beaver pond ice, in fields, open hardwood and in spruce so thick I could hardly walk through it. I mostly look in area's above 2000 ft where the sun can shine in, near balsam and a brook or water source where there is a lot of browse. If I find an area with a lot of rubs that's always a good place to look.

Ingen

Reaction score
That is awesome. I have never picked up a moose shed. I found over 100 whitetail sheds this spring, but a moose paddle would make me pretty happy if I ever get a chance to find one.