A Changing Tide?

TheMule

Reaction score
The biggest problem with YouTube and reality shows is that it's not a TV show. They are not actors and they are not hunters. Each of them inflate themselves on the backs of the other bad characters they see on these shows. It's a giant circle jerk of congratulatory bad hunting. If I was a new hunter, I may watch them and think it's completely normal and expected to behave like that. If I am a bad hunter I can be reassured that my hunting practices are in line with everyone else's.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
The biggest problem with YouTube and reality shows is that it's not a TV show. They are not actors and they are not hunters. Each of them inflate themselves on the backs of the other bad characters they see on these shows. It's a giant circle jerk of congratulatory bad hunting. If I was a new hunter, I may watch them and think it's completely normal and expected to behave like that. If I am a bad hunter I can be reassured that my hunting practices are in line with everyone else's.
Yeah, most of them are like that, but don't poo-poo the entire genre. There truly are a few that are part of the changing tide, just as the subject says.

JDK

Reaction score
For every 1 OK video on YouTube there are 199 that are plain crap. Everyone with a camera thinks they are an expert or a pioneer. I was down and out for a while this past winter and spent waaaayyyyy too much time watching it. Mind numbingly inane. Not sure how many times I can watch a 13 year old kid "unbox" a $500 Shimano Stixx muskie rod and a $300 Tranx at his kitchen table and proclaim it to be the best. Or watch some guy shoot a 6 inch group with a Ruger American, a cheap Chinese scope, and a box of Core Lokts and tell the world that all Ruger Americans are crap.

Even the OK ones are nothing new anymore. I watched a video about a subject I know a thing or two about. Professionally done. Guy loudly told the viewer that he was the pioneer of the fishery. I know the pioneers and no one knows who he is. Even the Elmers and others are trying way too hard now. Mainly because there is nothing new.

Call me a curmudgeon, call me a dick, call me whatever but I can give 2 shits about someone else's camp experience. someone's kitchen table review of a product, the 50th show about trolling Shallow Raiders in Green Bay or whatever.

ihunt

Reaction score
For every 1 OK video on YouTube there are 199 that are plain crap. Everyone with a camera thinks they are an expert or a pioneer. I was down and out for a while this past winter and spent waaaayyyyy too much time watching it. Mind numbingly inane. Not sure how many times I can watch a 13 year old kid "unbox" a $500 Shimano Stixx muskie rod and a $300 Tranx at his kitchen table and proclaim it to be the best. Or watch some guy shoot a 6 inch group with a Ruger American, a cheap Chinese scope, and a box of Core Lokts and tell the world that all Ruger Americans are crap.

Even the OK ones are nothing new anymore. I watched a video about a subject I know a thing or two about. Professionally done. Guy loudly told the viewer that he was the pioneer of the fishery. I know the pioneers and no one knows who he is. Even the Elmers and others are trying way too hard now. Mainly because there is nothing new.

Call me a curmudgeon, call me a dick, call me whatever but I can give 2 shits about someone else's camp experience. someone's kitchen table review of a product, the 50th show about trolling Shallow Raiders in Green Bay or whatever.
Nailed it!!

Latest posts