802-603hunter 2020 Vermont Buck

802-603hunter

Reaction score
This year was the first time I had archery hunted in about 10 years. Things started of very slow, I saw very few deer during the month of October with no shot opportunities. I was planning to hunt at camp in NH for their Veteran Day rifle opener but after hunting in the heat last weekend I decided to hold off until the weather cooled off, opting instead to hunt around home for the first few hours of the morning. I saw three deer yesterday and had this buck come in this morning at about 6:30am to check a scrape. He went down just out of sight. The best part was it was early enough in the morning that I was able to call home and have the kids come up in the woods with their grandfather to help recover the deer. Good clean family fun! Four point 124#, he was hit a few weeks ago by someone else with a frontal shot that entered the neck and exited the shoulder. Hopefully I don't lose too much meat. Hopefully the weather cooperates for Thanksgiving week for my trip to camp, pray for snow!!

IMG_9179_compressed.jpg

IMG_9193_compressed.jpg

IMG_9181_compressed.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
Great little hunt and buck! Congrats! Last buck I got was the 2018 season...I texted a pic of the buck to my wife and she said “I’ll bring the jet sled out and help drag”
I was literally 300 yds from my back door...:D
Was your deer previously hit with an arrow or bullet?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Nice job Travis! It is a lot of fun to share a harvest with the kids. Good luck in NH!

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice going! Nice pictures. Good luck in NH. I got this one hanging around my swamp. Passes through my back lawn about once a week lately in the middle of the night where he has a scrape and licking branch about 100 ft from the house. Maybe he gets over your way once in a while?

Attachments

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Nice going! Nice pictures. Good luck in NH. I got this one hanging around my swamp. Passes through my back lawn about once a week lately in the middle of the night where he has a scrape and licking branch about 100 ft from the house. Maybe he gets over your way once in a while?
He might. I’ve seen two eights and a couple big sixes without brow tines. Your picture could be an entirely different deer altogether, hard to tell.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Nice forks on him! congrats! gotta love getting the kids on the trail, thats awesome!

BDB

Reaction score
Congrats on the buck and it is great you could involve the family!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Nice job, Travis! And I hope Maine and NH are successful trips this year!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Heck yeah, thats awesome. I don't like the way the forum posts new threads now...I always miss some, this one included. I bet the other 2 generations loved getting that call. You headed to camp now?

802-603hunter

Reaction score
You headed to camp now?
I can’t quite pull myself away from going to VT camp in the NEK for at least the opener. Too much history and camaraderie there not to. We see plenty of bear so that will at least get me in woods and make me a quick summons to help drag for others. I may explore the Whites Sunday. Likely heading to my camp next Thursday thru to Thanksgiving, then head back after turkey.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I don't blame you. Get your dish washing hat on.....
I’m sure I’ll wash some dishes, but maybe I can guide. I told the other guys I’d be raffling off my spots. I think I’ve dragged bucks out 7 of the last 16 opening days, and a few others later in the season. It was an entertaining group text of deer camp banter.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Congrats Travis . Nice buck !

Tools you will need for NEK camp .
Cleaning supplies : Im sure the camp needs a top to bottom cleaning
Carpentry tools : While cleaning you will find things that need repairs
Chef Hat : The boys gotta eat good after a hard day hunting
Dragging boots : You better hope somebody shoots something to get you away from your chores !
You are going to be the most popular guy in camp !

Big D

Reaction score
Nice job. Way to get the whole crew involved. Good luck on the next adventure.

Latest posts