$8,500 LEB 7600

Mikejd

Reaction score
I should clarify. When I say “these” I mean special runs and commeritives. Truth of the matter run of the mill 7600s with someone’s name on it isn’t going to command huge prices. Same with relatively little known knife maker. Not when Doziers and Menefees are commanding the same and Randall’s are slightly more

The Benoit rifles sold brand new for 1000$.
So it's definitely worth more then the 650$.

As for the knives, Larry's knives sell because Larry made them. But they are not even close to the other makers you mentioned in terms of knives.

mowbizz

Reaction score

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have two knives. My friend who purchased a Benoit rifle when they can out, bought two knives with it and gave me one. I think they were about 200 back then. I bought the other one pictured about 10 years ago on Craigslist for 300. It has a spent rifle case in the sheath that supposedly killed a deer by Larry and a piece of antler from one of his bucks. IMG_3069.jpg

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have two knives. My friend who purchased a Benoit rifle when they can out, bought two knives with it and gave me one. I think they were about 200 back then. I bought the other one pictured about 10 years ago on Craigslist for 300. It has a spent rifle case in the sheath that supposedly killed a deer by Larry and a piece of antler from one of his bucks. View attachment 23055
There's also a chance you could have a knife made from one of the many chainsaw bars and sheds I gave to Lane to pass on to Larry. :D

NH Hunter

Reaction score
The Benoit rifles sold brand new for 1000$.
So it's definitely worth more then the 650$.

As for the knives, Larry's knives sell because Larry made them. But they are not even close to the other makers you mentioned in terms of knives.

But what will in be worth in the future and to who? I used baseball cards and a Model A as examples.

I collected baseball cards with my son for a few years. I loved it as a kid and he did to for a time. We were collecting the old stuff. 1956 Topps to be exact. I was spending anywhere from 4.00 to 280.00 per card. It was fun and they had some value. When we finished I sold the set for about 300.00 less than what I had into it, but the memories of that time period were priceless. The reason we elected to sell the cards was because who's going to buy them in 40 years? I was willing to spend the money because Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Al Kaline, Bob Feller and the list goes on, meant something to me, and I could pass the knowledge of old players down to my son. With that being said...... when I coached LL I could line up every kid, including the best players. I would go through that list of names and not a kid would know what I'm talking about. So in 40 years, those kids will have zero connection with the past players of the game making the cards worthless. In their eyes those cards are just cardboard with an old guys picture on it.

Same can be said for a Model A. There are many men who spent hours and lots of money restoring old Model A Fords. Not because of value, but because they had a connection of one being used on the farm. As generations pass who is really going to spend money on one? No different in the incredible jump in price for late 60's Camaro's. Boys who had to sell their muscle car at a young age to feed their family became middle aged men with a good job and supplemental income. They got their car back or one like it. 40k dollars later.

I was a fan of Benoits, enjoyed their seminars, stories and talking to them. Don't forget..... the first magazine came out in 1970. First book published in 1974 and second print in 1975. We didn't hear a thing again until 2003 when they started touring the sport show circuits and it was the boys who got it going. I'm not sure Landon or Zeb are interested in trying to rekindle that in another 30-35 years.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't pay for (or sell) something. Anticipating what someone will pay is hard and owners often value what they have greater than reality. That is up to them.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't pay for (or sell) something. Anticipating what someone will pay is hard and owners often value what they have greater than reality. That is up to them.

I agree. Just my reasoning for not seeing them increase in value. There's a better than average chance I'm full of shit.

JDK

Reaction score
I agree. Just my reasoning for not seeing them increase in value. There's a better than average chance I'm full of shit.

I agree with you. When pre-64 Winchester M70s and high end Brownings, with a far greater market of potential buyers, aren't bringing that kind of money, I don't believe that a M7600 with a gold inlay would either. I also agree that, sadly, the Beniots seem to have faded off into the sunset. They were and are legends.

ihunt

Reaction score
the Knives seem to be holding value. I've noticed on eBay the books are dropping in price a bit. Then of course there's the people who hoarded all this stuff. Particularly the magazines. they are trying to retire off the sales of them. A fella had the Sept. 1970 sports afield listed as auction style with starting bid at 1,000.00.

As it's always been . It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The longer they are not heard from , the more the value will drop. Very similar to baseball cards, and Model A's. If you don't have any connection emotionally to it, it's only worth what someone else has for a connection and is willing to pay. Just my opinion.
Interesting, I believe that's the same sports afield my father was in? If I was sure, I'd be bidding on it. I seem to have lost the copy I had!!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Interesting, I believe that's the same sports afield my father was in? If I was sure, I'd be bidding on it. I seem to have lost the copy I had!!
Is it this one? Larry was featured in this one, but another in 74 and 75 not sure of the months. I would know them if I saw the covers. The one that has been collectable is the 1970

Mikejd

Reaction score
I think you could sell one pretty quick for 2 or 3 thousand. 8500 is a lot of money for most Benoit fans.

If I came across one right now for that price i would buy it. I believe that at that price you will always get your money back. But I dont sell guns anyway so if I had it i would not care of the value.

trackah

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not trying to sidetrack your post just a quick question, does anyone know where i could read the articles from Sports Afield about Larry I've got all the books just not the magazine articles. Thanks

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not trying to sidetrack your post just a quick question, does anyone know where i could read the articles from Sports Afield about Larry I've got all the books just not the magazine articles. Thanks

I'm not sure if there are any archives you could search to read it. I gave my last copy to Lane the year before he passed away or I'd scan it for you.

ihunt

Reaction score
Is it this one? Larry was featured in this one, but another in 74 and 75 not sure of the months. I would know them if I saw the covers. The one that has been collectable is the 1970

Couldn't tell you? It was the early 70's and he was one of the hunters they focused on as a group considered top deer hunters in the northeast.

Mikejd

Reaction score

Its not a very good article. Its amazing what the article did for him. If i read the same article about joe blow you would not think twice about flipping the page.

NH Hunter

Reaction score

I thought this article from 2010 was an interesting read. Probably why we don't hear much from Shane or Lanny any longer.

Latest posts