$8,500 LEB 7600

VTsnowjet

Reaction score
Was looking at 7600 on the online gun sellers and came across an auction on gun broker that ended on 1/1/20 for a Larry Benoit 7600, book and knife for $8,500.
0 bids during the auction period.

The Beniots changed hunting for many of us by sharing their knowledge and stories but they are regional to New England and I cant believe any 7600 would hold that type of value, as much as they are respected and appreciated for their contribution to the sport.

Big D

Reaction score
As much as I respect the accomplishments of that family you've been having too many beers at camp if you think that's a value. I'm not much of a collector of anything though.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I did not see the listing you speak of but if its the one I think it is its been up for sale many times over. There is a painting on the stock I believe that Larry himself painted. The problem is as time goes on I believe it will loose value rather then increase in value. Not saying that the Benoits are a thing of the past but without them out in the fore front anymore many hunters will not know of them.

Browseline

Reaction score
I did not see the listing you speak of but if its the one I think it is its been up for sale many times over. There is a painting on the stock I believe that Larry himself painted. The problem is as time goes on I believe it will loose value rather then increase in value. Not saying that the Benoits are a thing of the past but without them out in the fore front anymore many hunters will not know of them.
That is exactly what I've been thinking when, for the last year or so, I see their stuff for sale. But hey, what do I know about investments. I took everything I had in the stock market out when I semi retired 6 years ago and it was at 15,000 and put it into guaranteed fixed annuities. I was sure it couldn't go much higher and it was going to go back down to 6000 like it did a few years before. Now it is over 29,000. Sigh. Oh well, at least I didn't lose any money and made some.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not willing to pay extra for a gun because it says Benoit or BWB on it. If it were Larry's personal hunting rifle, I could see that being worth some jing.

I do think it would be cool to own one of his knives though.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
the Knives seem to be holding value. I've noticed on eBay the books are dropping in price a bit. Then of course there's the people who hoarded all this stuff. Particularly the magazines. they are trying to retire off the sales of them. A fella had the Sept. 1970 sports afield listed as auction style with starting bid at 1,000.00.

As it's always been . It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The longer they are not heard from , the more the value will drop. Very similar to baseball cards, and Model A's. If you don't have any connection emotionally to it, it's only worth what someone else has for a connection and is willing to pay. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
the Knives seem to be holding value. I've noticed on eBay the books are dropping in price a bit. Then of course there's the people who hoarded all this stuff. Particularly the magazines. they are trying to retire off the sales of them. A fella had the Sept. 1970 sports afield listed as auction style with starting bid at 1,000.00.

As it's always been . It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The longer they are not heard from , the more the value will drop. Very similar to baseball cards, and Model A's. If you don't have any connection emotionally to it, it's only worth what someone else has for a connection and is willing to pay. Just my opinion.
I offered that guy 50$ at one point for the magazine. I just wanted to put a reality check out there to him. He obviously declined.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
This is the gun that recently the listing expired with no bids.
Same gun has been listed at least 10-12 times.
There is no painting on this gun. Only the LEB emblem on the receiver.
I think this gun is #41. I cant see the number on the gun or box. But thats the number on the back of the knife that comes with it.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My friend has one and his does not have a peep set up. I think the seller put that on. Also, it doesn't say new. I wonder if it was fired?

So, what is this Benoit rifle package worth? How much would you pay for it? I'd buy it right now for 2000, but no more than 2500.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
It says unfired NIB condition in the description. I thought they all came with the peep site . Thats what Larry had on his gun and what he recommends to use in his book. " How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life "
Im with you on the price. I dont believe they are worth more than that. I saw one a while back ( maybe 4-5 years ago ) that was listed for $5,500 by a guy in Londonderry NH . That one never received a bid either. He also had it listed on Armslist and at Riley's Gun Shop as a consignment sale. Never sold it.
Riley's told him to take it back home after a year. They didn't want to be responsible for it in their shop.

" This Remington 7600 is a rare find. Unfired NIB condition with the extras you see. Knife, book and sling. All authentic.This is a very special rifle chambered in the old reliable 30-06 caliber. These were manufactured by Remington for Larry Benoit and as I recall there are less than 200 of these rifles exist. Pictures pretty well tell the story. Will ship to your FFL for actual. Questions always welcomed. This Remington is soon to go off Gunbroker. If interested, let me know. John 507-533-0099 "

Reactions: JDK

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Is that a picture of your buddies gun ? I didn't know there were 2 different years until reading the description in your article.
Serial numbers LEB0001 to LEB0109 had 1999 on the receiver and the LEB0110 to LEB 0170 had 2000 on the receiver.
I missed the serial number was on the box on the gunbroker listing. Its LEB0088 from the first run made in 1999 .
Could it be that the 1999's had a peep site and the 2000's had standard Remington iron sites ? That cant be that either. The gun showing in your article, a 1999 does not have a peep site either.

Also in the article it says the knife that came with the gun had a matching serial number engraved on the knife. This one does not have a matching serial number on the sheath or the knife. It shows it as a LEB 004 for 2004 and a #41 written on the sheath. The same numbers are written on the box so something is out of order.
I just noticed something on the pics from the one on gunbroker. Scroll to the pic showing the gun in the box open, gun facing to the left. Look at the white foam directly above where the standard iron sites would have been mounted on the barrel. There are scratches and dents in the white foam showing that there were iron sites on this gun at one time. If thats the case , the price of this gun just nosedived to under $1000 in my book. ;)
I dont get it though. Larry's signature gun was a Remington 7600 carbine with peep sites. Why would he have them ordered and specially made with standard iron sites for his signature gun ? Who knows.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Is that a picture of your buddies gun ? I didn't know there were 2 different years until reading the description in your article.
Serial numbers LEB0001 to LEB0109 had 1999 on the receiver and the LEB0110 to LEB 0170 had 2000 on the receiver.
I missed the serial number was on the box on the gunbroker listing. Its LEB0088 from the first run made in 1999 .
Could it be that the 1999's had a peep site and the 2000's had standard Remington iron sites ? That cant be that either. The gun showing in your article, a 1999 does not have a peep site either.

Also in the article it says the knife that came with the gun had a matching serial number engraved on the knife. This one does not have a matching serial number on the sheath or the knife. It shows it as a LEB 004 for 2004 and a #41 written on the sheath. The same numbers are written on the box so something is out of order.
I just noticed something on the pics from the one on gunbroker. Scroll to the pic showing the gun in the box open, gun facing to the left. Look at the white foam directly above where the standard iron sites would have been mounted on the barrel. There are scratches and dents in the white foam showing that there were iron sites on this gun at one time. If thats the case , the price of this gun just nosedived to under $1000 in my book. ;)
I dont get it though. Larry's signature gun was a Remington 7600 carbine with peep sites. Why would he have them ordered and specially made with standard iron sites for his signature gun ? Who knows.
I do not know of any firearms that come new with a Williams peep sight. That would make it a joint venture between Williams and remington. I'm sure that's why they went with standard remington sights.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score

Not my friends rifle.
As you know, that's the way they come from the factory. With those open sights, The Benoit rifle came with open sights not peep sights. Larry used to put a peep sight on the rifle when he got it, cut the stock and put a rubber pad on it also.

VTsnowjet

Reaction score
I also think the story goes they were 1,000 supposed to be made however only 170 issued. The gun listing stated that was because LEB wanted a limited amount however the reality was Remington was having financial issues and the guns were not selling like they thought. Local gun shop has a Remington 7600 carbine for $799, 15 years ago I paid $499 new so they dont appreciate that much considering inflation.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I also think the story goes they were 1,000 supposed to be made however only 170 issued. The gun listing stated that was because LEB wanted a limited amount however the reality was Remington was having financial issues and the guns were not selling like they thought. Local gun shop has a Remington 7600 carbine for $799, 15 years ago I paid $499 new so they dont appreciate that much considering inflation.

I think the only place in the states they command that money is the Northeast due to the Benoits using them. It's been 10 seasons since they've updated any hunting pictures on their site, and going on 6 since they've updated a seminar schedule . Give it another 10 and they will be forgotten other than a select few grey haired old timers telling stories at camp about drinking beers with the boys at a legion after a seminar in 2004.

Of course in another ten years, Lanny will be in his 80's and Shane not far behind. As for the rifle..... I learned long ago I can't afford to collect guns. I've never seen it be a money making proposition unless someone is extremely hard up for money and the guy buying the gun damn near steals it from him. My conscience doesn't allow me to do that. I've been that broke before........

Last edited:
Reactions: JDK

ahmoore

Reaction score
Was scratching my head on the peep also, but then recollected BWB 7600 was the one that came installed w/ Williams peep.

JDK

Reaction score
I should clarify. When I say “these” I mean special runs and commeritives. Truth of the matter run of the mill 7600s with someone’s name on it isn’t going to command huge prices. Same with relatively little known knife maker. Not when Doziers and Menefees are commanding the same and Randall’s are slightly more