7600 Reborn

.270 Pump

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at refinishing a rifle. I always liked the 7600's this one started out as a $250 pawn shop find. The blueing was worn, the wood finish worn, nicked etc. It also had a Bushnell scope with a dent in it. I was wanting a hunting rifle not a museum piece and tried to refinish it with that in mind. Stripped it down refinished the wood with Tru Oil, Dura Coated the steel and put a new Leupold scope on it.
.image.jpegimage.jpeg

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Awesome....well done! How do you strip it and how many coats of Tru oil did you use?

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Also....did you do the Duracoat??

.270 Pump

Reaction score
I stripped the wood using a liquid paint/varnish stripper, then sanded smooth with fine sandpaper. I also applied the Duracoat going by the directions they included. I had a small air compressor and I picked up a small hobby style paint gun for $10 at Harbor Freight. Google Duracoat and you find plenty of application instructions.
As for time spent on it hard to say as I just worked on when my schedule allowed. I probably had 20 hours on it. But I was learning as I go. Prior experience would shave off considerable time. One nice thing with type of project is you can set the pace.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Really nice job. The true oil really looks nice and classy without being flashy. Great job.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
The great thing about Tru Oil is that when it comes to putting it on, there really isn't too much you can do wrong. Getting the wood ready is about the only spot where you can screw up. If you want to go with just a couple coats and leave the wood matte or satin, that's easy. If you want to build a thick mirror finish where you can see a depth to the finish, thats easy too. And when its thick with depth, you can still knock the finish back to a matte or satin, or leave it glossy. After that.....if you get a scratch, nick or anything...a five minute effort of putting on another thin coat brings it all right back like new deep gloss, ready to go, or to knock it back again to satin or matte with fine steel wool.

JDK

Reaction score
Looks very nice and some great information on here.

Lavman

Reaction score
Looks great! I am planning my next rifle purchase and have set my sights on a 7600. I am leaning towards synthetic furniture but man that wood does look nice

Lavman

Reaction score
Kindred spirits man!

Truth is my 7400 finally jammed on me when I was sighting in for this season (I have to pull off the forend and clean the action tube and action spring, that thing doesn't like any dust on it I guess). First shot went just fine but the second round jumped up the feed ramp and the tip of the bullet got stuck in the top of the receiver behind the barrel. Imagine my dismay if I needed that follow up shot on a critter.

I hunt a lot with my 870 in the fall (ducks mainly) and the action is second nature for me. I think a 7600 would be a great fit.

nsheeh

Reaction score
Excellent job very interested in doing the same to mine thank you for posting