7600 Makeover

lester2

Reaction score
This year was the 16th year carrying my 7600 ‘06 carbine. Bought it new in 2004 and the old girl has been thru a lot. Many dings in the stock and forend, the bluing is worn right down to bare metal where I carry it one handed, and the Limbsaver recoil pad is sticky and gooey and has to go. Between Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont this year were quite a few rainy or wet snowy days where it stayed in the truck overnight and of course rust spots developed. I cleaned her up best I could but the other day I decided she needed a makeover. So today I took the scope, rings and base off of her and brought her to a guy in Newark, VT. He’s going to strip the old blueing off and Cerakote it black, lightly refinish the wood with a satin poly and put a new Kick Eez recoil pad on her. When I get it back a new VX-3 2.5x8 is going on her, as long as I can find one. I should have it back in a couple of months, I’ll post pics and a review when I do.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Awesome. Limbsaver will send you a replacement for the sticky recoil pad if you contact them. I do think you'll need to provide them a serial # off the sticky one though.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

lester2

Reaction score
Awesome. Limbsaver will send you a replacement for the sticky recoil pad if you contact them. I do think you'll need to provide them a serial # off the sticky one though.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Pine-lock. I tried that earlier this fall, sent an email to their customer service department and never got a response!

lester2

Reaction score
How’s the forearm? Does it rattle a lot?
It does rattle some. I had the original O-ring replaced after 5 years or so then did it again myself a couple years ago. The smith I brought it to said there’s a spring washer in or near the bolt face that flattens out over time. He said he’d replace that while he has it apart and that should help with the rattle.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
This year was the 16th year carrying my 7600 ‘06 carbine. Bought it new in 2004 and the old girl has been thru a lot. Many dings in the stock and forend, the bluing is worn right down to bare metal where I carry it one handed, and the Limbsaver recoil pad is sticky and gooey and has to go. Between Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont this year were quite a few rainy or wet snowy days where it stayed in the truck overnight and of course rust spots developed. I cleaned her up best I could but the other day I decided she needed a makeover. So today I took the scope, rings and base off of her and brought her to a guy in Newark, VT. He’s going to strip the old blueing off and Cerakote it black, lightly refinish the wood with a satin poly and put a new Kick Eez recoil pad on her. When I get it back a new VX-3 2.5x8 is going on her, as long as I can find one. I should have it back in a couple of months, I’ll post pics and a review when I do.
Did you bring it to The Gun Shop?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
No, Kevin Aucoin at TGI Creations. His place is just a few miles from The Gun Shop and he does a lot of work for them. Nice guy, seems very knowledgeable.
My hunting partner bought a beautiful 760 from the Gun Shop last year. If the same guy did the work, you will not be disappointed.

Attachments

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
What is on the end of his barrel?
When I went north(Maine) this year, an older woman was seated across from us at the diner. She asked if we were up hunting. We said yes, and she said, well you need a good flashlight to hunt deer up here. That's how they do it up here! lol Maybe it's a light? 😃

Actually I was thinking camera.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
He's on the 760/7600 FB group. Seems very knowledgeable. Cerakote guns sure look cool.

hammertime

Reaction score
My limbsaver recoil pad got all sticky also. I called them and they said they had a bad batch of rubber. Sent me a new one free of charge

Latest posts