7600 Jamming Issues

emitch_NH

Reaction score
It is definitely the mag. I have a bunch of all old metal mags that I picked up over the years, about half would work in my 760 and half wouldn't. One day for a project I went through and watch the ones that didn't work as I brought the action forward. I could see a variety of problems - sometimes it was the R side round that would get stuck, sometimes the left, sometimes two would come up (like you have). I managed to fix all of them with pliers and some gentle nudging of different parts of the metal fins on top. Those steer the rounds into place.
With two popping up in a 4+1 scenario, I'd guess the rear of the fin on the side of the first round (left I think) needs to be rolled in a bit, so the bolt only grabs one round.
Thanks for the tip --- Luckily the wife will be going on a half-marathon run tomorrow so I'll have a good chunk of the day to tinker with my rifles. I'll try making some adjustments to the magazine and test with snap caps. Ill try and post a video or photo later on too if it's still jamming up to show you the double feed I'm getting

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip --- Luckily the wife will be going on a half-marathon run tomorrow so I'll have a good chunk of the day to tinker with my rifles. I'll try making some adjustments to the magazine and test with snap caps. Ill try and post a video or photo later on too if it's still jamming up to show you the double feed I'm getting
Sounds good.
Hope it helps - you'll get there. Some time before the season.

emitch_NH

Reaction score
Update --- Luckily I have a friend who has a 7600 and let me borrow his older-style metal magazine. This made a world of difference; when using snap caps I cycled 4 rounds flawlessly at least 10 times. Seems like it was the magazine that was the issue the whole time. I figured the newer Remington OEM Long-Action would work fine, but an older beat-up steel one did the trick!...

Last year at the range I was using 150gr factory Barnes Vortx TTSX. Grouping was mediocre with this round -- I get that this rifle isn't a bolt action, but is anybody here using copper ammo and getting decent groups? I ordered Federal Trophy Copper 165 gr and 180 gr. to try out once the range re-opens....

Once rifle season opens up hopefully Ill have some luck this year. Would love to have this old rifle come to life again in the woods. These older Remingtons are too nice to be sitting in safes.

medrhunter

Reaction score
There was a thread a while back about this same jamming problem with the 7600.
If I remember right it was the magazine. The one that claims it's good for multiple calibers.
That magazine might be good for newer 7600's but doesn't work so well in older guns.
The newer magazines like this have a plastic bottom section . The older ones are all steel and have only one caliber listed on the magazine
I ran into this same problem with a Rem 742 with one of those part plastic magazines.
I bought one as an extra spare and it didn't work for crap. Did the same thing your gun is doing.
But my all steel 3 originals all worked flawless so I knew it wasn't the gun.
Funny , I gave that magazine to a friend with a newer7400 and it worked fine in his gun.
The packaging claimed it was good for 740 742 and 7400 rifles

mowbizz brings up a good point. Not enough info. We dont know which part of the cycle it's jamming.
Is it doing it loading a shell , ejecting a shell , after you fired a shell , or doing it just cycling unfired shells .
Since this gun is new to you, are you cycling the action all the way back and forward.
You took the gun apart to clean it. Did you lock the slide bars back into place ?
Too many unknowns. Tell us more so we can try to pinpoint the problem

Have two friends that had same issue.
Both ended up being the mag.
They "smoothed" out all of the points that touched the case and it seemed to resolve the issue.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I adjusted the front ears on my old mag for my 7600 and it seemed to have resolved the issue with the alignment as the bullet enters the chamber.
Roger-

OldHunter

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I had the same issue with a Winchester Model 88 lever action .308. I showed it to a friend. He checked the used cartridges and as he expected saw faint scratch lines. Polishing the magazine “ears” with fine emery cloth solved the issue for both magazines I had for this rifle. Best of luck.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
It is definitely the mag. I have a bunch of all old metal mags that I picked up over the years, about half would work in my 760 and half wouldn't. One day for a project I went through and watch the ones that didn't work as I brought the action forward. I could see a variety of problems - sometimes it was the R side round that would get stuck, sometimes the left, sometimes two would come up (like you have). I managed to fix all of them with pliers and some gentle nudging of different parts of the metal fins on top. Those steer the rounds into place.
With two popping up in a 4+1 scenario, I'd guess the rear of the fin on the side of the first round (left I think) needs to be rolled in a bit, so the bolt only grabs one round.
I had the opposite issue and my bolt would occasionally ride over the next round in the mag and not load it. This cost me a nice buck. Adjusting the metal tabs with pliers fixed it.

jacinda

Reaction score
I didn’t realize pump actions could “jam”
How is it jamming? Shell getting stuck in the port?
Shell getting stuck going into chamber?
Bolt jamming while picking up a shell?
Same “jam” each time?
Obviously needs a gunsmith’s opinion but you’re not giving enough info.
+1

Latest posts