7600 breakdown

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Last deer season I had my rifle jam up on me when I tried to work the action and then the slide got way to loose and rattled like a bastard. Haysaddle offered to take a look at it which was greatly appreciated and we broke it down the best we could and couldn't find any issues. However we could not get the action tube threads to break which holds everything together and threads onto the receiver. That's a good thing I guess but I still thought something was iffy and was told that if may be this little o-ring on the action tube that causes resistance and reduces rattle and play.

I checked out how to fully break the gun down on this awesome video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7XtcSLPEGM and decided to give it a try and was successful but only after a bit of head scratching research.

What the video does not tell you is that Remington uses "permanent" lock tite when they screw on the action tube. So once I figured this out I new I needed some heat to break lose the threads. About 350 degrees with a torch did the trick and I used a 5mm punch that fits snugly into the nice little holes in the action tube put there specifically for unscrewing it. Once that was taken care of, the rest was easy.

breakdown.jpg

As you can see in the below pic, there is no o-ring on the tube where it supposed to seat.

actiontubeassm.jpg

I ordered a new o-ring directly from Remington for $4 and free shipping so can't complain there but it certainly does seem like a fragile little thing.

New o-ring took about 10 days and here it is installed.

tubewithneworing.jpg

Make sure you clean up all your slides, sleeves and tubes before putting everything back together and also put a little lubricant on the o-ring and inside the action bar assembly that the o-ring and tube slide into. I didn't the first time and there was enough friction in there to push the new o-ring out of the seat.

I used blue lok tite this time and hoping the threads it will not come loose but I plan on shooting the hell out of this gun before the next season at the range so will know if it does.

locktite.jpg

Once it was all back together the action felt good as new, no rattle and got rid of the looseness in the action. I've got a feeling this will probably happen again as I can imagine a bit of water in there and freezing temps will do a number on the rubber o-ring, so at $4 a pop might keep some in stock. Also, there are quite a few sharp edges on various internal parts that I put some emery cloth to just to be on the safe side.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Damn...I have NEVER seen a 7600 broken down that far. I'd be scared to death looking at that pile of pieces.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Wowser- I'll agree with DLuke's assessment. Scary and very cool stuff.

Do you think it was the O ring that caused the issues you had? If so, why- did it break and get hung up in there or just disappear?

Turningleaf

Reaction score
LoL! I was thinking the same thing...I'd never get that back together the right way! Great job in doing the fix it yourself job and doubles on having the stones to pull that puppy apart!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Wowser- I'll agree with DLuke's assessment. Scary and very cool stuff.

Do you think it was the O ring that caused the issues you had? If so, why- did it break and get hung up in there or just disappear?

The video is the way to go and I would not have done it without watching it. The real scary part was actually taking a torch to my gun!

But I did the research and it was either me or a gunsmith.

I did forget to mention that I found the old o-ring wedged in the back where the action tubes slides into. Still in one piece but roughed up. What I believe happened is that when my gun got knock over in the night it somehow caused the o-ring to unseat just a little. When I shot my gun in the am to make sure the sights were still on and worked the action again at the end of the day to unload it, the o-ring came completely off and road up in the space between the action tube and the action bar assembly where it's not suppose to causing it to jam. By forcing the action all the way open which I had to do to get the bullet out, I think I pushed the o-ring completely off the action tube and wedge it in the back of the action bar assembly.

Last edited:

Flatlander

Reaction score
What did you use for lube on the o-ring ? The mil specs I worked to called for either silicone or cosmoline. Not sure if it really matters, a couple SEALS died from the fumes certain lubricants emit so we had to adhere to the spec.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, especially with pictures. I tried replacing my o-ring myself but could not free up the action tube from the reciever. Luckily there is an old timer gunsmith near me who works for old time prices. I think he charged me $30 to replace it and clean the whole gun in the process. Even he said that it was more of a SOB to get off than most. I was thinking it may be a good thing to breakdown every once in a while to keep it freed up in the event I had to replace the o-ring again.

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Well done Mainewoods. Im always amazed by the seeds, buds, twigs, etc that I find deep in a firearm when breaking it down. Guessing the way you hunt Im sure you found plenty of treasures.

BTW, I think $4 is worth knowing you have the right part.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
What did you use for lube on the o-ring ? The mil specs I worked to called for either silicone or cosmoline. Not sure if it really matters, a couple SEALS died from the fumes certain lubricants emit so we had to adhere to the spec.

I used a CVA slick load lube made to lube and store muzzleloaders. It's non petroleum based food grade and biodegradable from what it says and almost like a light wax. Maybe not the proper product but I've used it for a number of years to store all my guns after cleaning.

drice

Reaction score
i have a schematics book on the breakdown and service of the 7600 i could post some pics if anyone is interested

totalyirish5

Reaction score
Awesome job on the break down. Youtube is a wonderful thing. The only part that would scare me about buying a spare is that it would dry out if not stored correctly.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Well done Mainewoods. Im always amazed by the seeds, buds, twigs, etc that I find deep in a firearm when breaking it down. Guessing the way you hunt Im sure you found plenty of treasures.

BTW, I think $4 is worth knowing you have the right part.

It was certainly nice to be able to get in there, clean and lube it all up, and just smooth out the machined rough edges. Like 802-630hunter said, they can be a bitch to break loose the first time and even snug in a vice (wooden shims of course) I could not break them without the heat.

If the o-ring fails again soon there may be something in the sleeve causing it to unseat and next time I'll run a fine wire wheel through the sleeve.

JDK

Reaction score
This thread should also be a sticky.

Latest posts