760 Purchased Today

Grandkid

Reaction score
Here is my first post!

I have been reading about the 760's and 7600's that you all have or want....35 Whelen. You guy have got my blood steaming with all this talk about the pumps. I currently own a 742 (pretty old) and also another that my dad owned and bought a 750 carbine a few years back BUT I alway's wanted a 760 so today I made the leap. It is in above average condition with little sign's of wear. However it is not a carbine. So I would like to have it cut and crowned to 18-1/2" and get a peep on it. So it will be going to a gunsmith soon to have the work done. Unless anyone here should convince me to do otherwise. I do like the balance the way it is set up. Came with one clip.

I ran some solvent through the barrel and it was super clean. I don't think it had been shot very much. I'm excited to run some through it and take it on a big track!:elmer:

Thanks for all the great reading.

Roger-

Big D

Reaction score
Congrats on joining the canoe paddle brigade. Great gun. If you like it the way it is don't be afraid to leave it as is. Enjoy. Hope it shoots well for you.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome to HC and the 'Pump Club'. Good luck with your new toy, you sold be happy with it. Most shoot well. What caliber did you get and where do you live and hunt? Nice people here, and lots of help available if you have questions.

Grandkid

Reaction score
That didn't take long. Glad to see that deer season doesn't end for you all.

30-06

Hope to run a through rounds through it before I decide to do anything.

I live in southern NH and have hunted all over NE, some in Canada, the mid-west with some friends that grew up there and have moved back. Have taken my share of deer and some nice buck as well. Currently at 198-1/2# but haven't topped 200# yet. Took a nice one a couple of years ago in the Whites but haven't taken one tracking yet.

That is next on the list. I have been having fun passing then in to maybe encounter a bigger one.

Having fun on this site.

Roger-

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase. I’ve been checking out 760s for the past few years and will own one someday. Let us know how it shoots.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I looked up the mfg date and it is April 1969. My Dad's 742 is January 1967. Not sure about my 742 yet.

I'll be sure to post the results of my first run with it.

Roger-

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on the 760, great purchase! Don’t cut it down, just buy another!

Buckmaster7600

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! Just be careful they’re well known to make friends in the gun cabinet and before you know it you’ll end up with a herd of them as many of us have found out!

medrhunter

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the new gun.
I would shoot it first and see how it shoots before you spend any money on altering it.
I have hunted with both and don't see any difference between the 2.

silver belly62

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! Just be careful they?re well known to make friends in the gun cabinet and before you know it you?ll end up with a herd of them as many of us have found out!

Isn't that the truth ! lol. Was at a local shop recently and they had a used 760 that was in great shape and in the stock style I prefer but was in 270 win, which I've never really been interested in having.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Ahhhh... 35 Whelen, yes I like them. I have 3 carbines and 2 regular in 35 Whelen. Good luck with the rifle! Carbine is nice in the brush, long barrel is nice on those longer off hand shots. Yes, I do notice a difference in being steadier with the long barrel and weight out front. Probably not enough to make too much of a difference, except over 150 yards or so.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Congrats...how about a pic? As you know...much easier to shorten than it is to lengthen...take your time! Having said that...I love my carbine.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the new gun.
I have hunted with both and don't see any difference between the 2.

I hunt with the full length 760. When I leave the truck in the morning, I love it. When I return to the truck at the end of the day I always want a carbine.

Grandkid

Reaction score
You guys are too funny. Thanks for all the advice on to cut or not to cut. I'll probably not cut it as I suddenly took out all my Remington's and I do happen to have two carbines. A new 750 (purchased when they came out with that model) and a 7600 built in 2000 and I purchased in probably 2005 from a young man that was short on cash. I'll figure out how to post the photo of my collection of Remington's soon. So my new old 760 has joined in with two 742's a 750 and a 7600. They did multiply over the weekend!

Roger-

Latest posts