760 Forearm Repair

Reaction score
Anyone ever do any repair work on their own stocks or forearm before ? Picked up a couple this week to add to the collection lol and one of them the previous owner for some unknown reason thought it was easier to drill a hole in the middle of the forearm underneath for the sling swivel attachment. Gun is in great condition other than that, removed the swivel after I got it home and I'm thinking about doing a small amount of wood stock filler etc to cover the small screw hole, but want something that will last. Any certain kind that might be better than another for anyone that has done this type of repair before ?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Personally I would drill it out to 1/4 inch and fill it with either a piece of walnut dowel or a walnut button plug like these if you want the decorative look. You can stain the head of the plug to match the color of the stock before you glue it in. Then sand off the plug on the inside of the forearm. You can probably find these at any woodworking shop or home depot.

https://www.amazon.com/WIDGETCO-Walnut-Button-Wood-Plugs/dp/B00QHLID9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546148340&sr=8-1&keywords=1/4+inch+walnut+button+plug

If you just want to fill the hole , a guy I know that repairs furniture uses Timbermate wood filler. You can get it for all the different woods
Here is the one for walnut. I believe the Rem 760's came with a walnut stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Timbermate-Walnut-Hardwood-Wood-Filler/dp/B001NV4VN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546150234&sr=8-1&keywords=timbermate+walnut

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol it's not really a big issue to repair, basically a small hole but just want to do it right the first time and have it blend it the best I can. I have extra stock sets but might just switch this one out one of the ones I use a lot more.

Attachments

Reaction score
Some of the better wood workers on here would know better, but I like the idea of a glued in plug.[/QUOTE

Kinda leaning that way after seeing SportsmanNH suggestion, never really gave that any thought. I'll probably switch that stock set out when I get done and use it on one of the rifles I use more for next season.

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I foresee getting the plug and finish to match being extremely difficult. A base end of a piece of brass of whatever caliber the firearm is would be a good insert if matching does prove to be difficult.

Reaction score
I foresee getting the plug and finish to match being extremely difficult. A base end of a piece of brass of whatever caliber the firearm is would be a good insert if matching does prove to be difficult.
You mean like the way they have the end of the primer end from a cartridge, like the model 6 has above the magazine

OldHunter

Reaction score
Here is an option for filling the hole you might want to consider. I read this tip many years ago in a Gunsmithing Book or Magazine.
First remove the forestock and get some fine sand paper and sand the inside of the stock just a bit. This will allow you to collect the saw dust from the forestock to use later. Next cover the inside of the hole with duct tape. Then mix up some epoxy and fill the hole almost full from the outside of the forestock. Let the epoxy harden and then mix up another small batch of epoxy to finish filling the hole. While mixing the epoxy add the saw dust from the first step. Finish filling the hole and remove the duct tape. You might have to lightly hit the filled area with steel wool to remove the sheen from the epoxy. The color will naturally match perfectly.
Another tip for the use of epoxy is the following. The back end of the forestock is very thin and prone to splitting. I know mine split for a ½” or so after its first season in 2001. So I took the forestock off and lightly coated the thin area with epoxy. I have had no issues with splitting since then.

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
Epoxy a brass shell casing bottom as suggested. You'll always see any plug you put in as you won't match the checkering. You may as we make it stand out... Just my $.02...

longbow

Reaction score
What you do is find a twig that fits right in there. Push it in and then snap it off, and your good.;)

I think I like the epoxy idea. Not very visible under there anyway.

Last edited:

Browseline

Reaction score
A small, smooth faced brass compression rivet like what is used in some knife handles would work, without too much effort.