5/14 Trout Fishing

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Caught a bunch of trout today. 40+. Biggest was 5 pounds and, only 20" long, but it was fat! Also a half dozen tiger trout. Had another 4lb, and 2, 3 pounders.

Lost a fish that I estimate was 6 plus pounds. Probably closer to 10, I still am amazed by how long and strong he was. Pulled him twice out of the log jam and had him in the clear section of stream and the hook just pulled out.:(

My son caught a nice golden trout that made his day! Good day of fishing.

IMG_6075.PNG IMG_6072.jpg IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6076.PNG

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Looks like a fun day, and spinners are serving you well. I took my 8 yr old out this morning. We tried a variety of spinners and spoons but didn’t put any on the stringer until we used the worms. They hit the pellet grill with company from a chunk of moose loin.
6627E1D0-DD9F-46FF-9C30-8DB2843AE591.jpeg
9E1CDF4E-536D-4511-AC08-A46EB3C8CAAD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a fun day, and spinners are serving you well. I took my 8 yr old out this morning. We tried a variety of spinners and spoons but didn’t put any on the stringer until we used the worms. They hit the pellet grill with company from a chunk of moose loin.
View attachment 26147 View attachment 26148
Nice, yes worms are hard to beat. I remember fishing a place like that in Vermont many years ago. Chittenden Dam near Rutland. Wow, that was about 45 years ago.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
What does New Hampshire do for stocking?
They stock some large fish but it’s mostly in the northern part or the state. There are some ponds you can catch fish like that. Most are fly fishing only , but there are places you can use both methods and get into some 3-5 lb brook trout , some huge browns and some decent rainbows in the spring that come out of the bigger lakes.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The vast majority of our trout are 10-12 inches in length. When they stock a spot if they put 4 net fulls in with 100 fish only a couple will be breeders. 2-7 pounds, if that many. I have been lucky this year to get some nice fish.
I also think I lucked into some privately stocked fish that may have been washed around by some high water conditions earlier in the season.

Last edited:

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
The vast majority of our trout are 10-12 inches in length. When they stock a spot if they put 4 net fulls in with 100 fish only a couple will be breeders. 2-7 pounds, if that many. I have been lucky this year to get some nice fish.
I also think I lucked into some privately stocked fish that may have been washed around by some high water conditions earlier in the season.
He says they are half a pound, ha ha. It's just bait/forage.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Eric Orf has had an impact on every NH sportsman than most will ever know over the last 3 decades. Even after his retirement we are still reaping the rewards of his work. So if your intentions of the post were to be a smart ass, you’re showing how little you've paid attention.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Maine stocks fish in the 7-13 inch range mainly and a handful of brood stock that run 17-24 inches. Not all lakes and ponds get those. Actually 3-4 lakes in the County get brood stock and that is about 250-300 fish total. Most of the lakes I fish are natural.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Eric Orf has had an impact on every NH sportsman than most will ever know over the last 3 decades. Even after his retirement we are still reaping the rewards of his work. So if your intentions of the post were to be a smart ass, you’re showing how little you've paid attention.

I'm not in NH, so I can't speak to his work, but I love his communication. I wish the team in VT spent more time on projects like "Whats wild in NH". I talk to a lot of hunters in VT that are complaining, and it seems like F&W is just an anonymous group behind a curtain. I love that Eric is showing that there are SCIENTISTS doing the research. I don't know that I'm really articulating my thoughts well here, but I think his videos should be the model all other states follow. (Maybe they do and I'm oblivious to it?)

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
What are you talking about??? He is not even the one who said they were half a pound. The fisheries technician did. Eric is who asked how big they are. My former passed away hunting buddy and past HC member, went to high school with Eric. I met him twice. Once when we checked in our moose, and once when I checked in my first deer. The intentions were clearly to answer Longbows question of what NH does for stocking. Here is a video of NH stocking......

Last edited:

Latest posts