300 Lb Buck or 200"Buck?

longbow

Reaction score
We just read about the guy who shot the 300# Maine buck in 2018.

So, what would you rather shoot?

A) 300#+, (certified), dressed weight buck, with an average rack.

B) 200" Boone and Crockett Buck, of average weight.

As, much as I like big antlers, I identify more with the New England standard and go with the 300# dressed buck.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
The where and how has to do with it also for me.
If the 200 incher was over a bean field in the Midwest and the 300lbder was tracked down or killed on a big woods hunt the 300 lbder would be my choice. Now if that 200 incher was a 200 lbder that I tracked down and killed on a big woods hunt then I choose the 200 incher.

I have a friend with an outstanding trophy room. I don't think he has a 200 but definitly close. He takes a trip every year somewhere out west for a week.All deer killed with a bow. Yet he can not hunt his way out of a cardboard box. I hate to say it I almost don't even consider him a hunter as he really doesn't hunt for anything other then a price on airfare.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I have 3 mounts on my wall. A 240lbs 10 pointer that scored 128", an 190lbs 8 pointer that scored 124", and a 228lbs 10 pointer that scored 159". Pretty awesome shooting a deer 240lbs, and I have pictures to remember it, but seeing the 159" on the wall starts more conversations. I'd take the 200". Although like someone else said trophies are different in different areas. tracking down a 300 pounder in main even if it ended up being a bit of a rag horn, holy moly what a story that would be!

Grandkid

Reaction score
300# but I need a couple of good stout friends....
Roger-

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I am going with the 300# but either would do just fine. I also really want a buck with the crazy swollen neck. My biggest buck was all rutted out and not much there ad no fat left on him. Those swollen necks get me, I also like spit brow tines! But that is not what you asked I guess.

mowbizz

Reaction score
300 pounder all day long. Whatever this buck has for headgear would be impressive enough for me.
Hunting alone and killing a 300 would be a problem! While huge antlers are impressive, they have nothing really, to tell a story of how a buck thrived and survived in the big north woods. Take a look at those “farm deer” they look like freaks of nature...no thanks.

hammertime

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of 200" buck. I don't care for the freaky non-typical racks, but a nice wide, heavy, high typical 12 point rack would be a toss up.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Either would be legendary in the Northeast. A 200" on the wall would be a conversation piece for a lifetime.