3 Wt fun!!!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a 3wt fly rod last fall for helping him pull a moose out of the woods. I finally got around to buying a reel and line to use it in the last week. I've been fishing with a friend at a private pond that's stocked with Brook trout. In the last week they've been right on the shore line, on the edge of the weeks feeding on small damsel fly nymphs and we couldn't match what they were hammering on....... until last night.

By far the best fishing I've had all summer, and being able to catch a dozen or more decent sized Brookies on a 3 wt was just awesome. Here's a couple that I took the time to snap a quick picture of.47w44IeKRR2Mhx4gbnF+mg.jpgE7zLIBGFRSqj%Xk6zrHBdA.jpg1uH+06GERFimYwDCoBU4%Q.jpg

Reaction score
I'm surprised they aren't colored up more but nice healthy looking fish. Neat catching them on a 3wt.

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Sweet ! Who and how did the idea of pouring coke on fish come about ?
Some "Old Timer" told me about that when I was a kid, so I tried it and it works. When your fish gets discolored like the one in NH Hunter's avatar, you can pour some coke on it and the colors come back like freshly caught so you can take a colorful picture of it.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
IMG_1054.jpgThe fish in the avatar was released. it's just the way the sun is hitting it. I don't keep any of the trout I catch. There isn't enough ketchup to make fish taste good to me. ;) The two pictures I posted are hens. I did catch a couple really nicely colored males that were bigger than those in the pictures.

I didn't take pictures of them because I fought them for a pretty fair amount of time. I just wanted to get them back in the water without a fish going belly up.

Last edited:

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I see now that the sun made your avatar fish look discolored. Thanks for the enlargement. But next time someone keeps a trout out of water too long from the trip home and the colors fade, try the Coca-Cola trick.