#223 Maine Buck

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Got this buck after 7 days of hunting in very warm weather last week, up in the North Maine Woods. Saw a lot of scrapes and rubs but could not find a buck until this one. Really nothing new, not being able to find a buck up there! lol I was moving slowly thru a grown up cut, checking out some scrapes and rubs. I turned and looked behind me and was staring face to face with the buck at 40 yards in the middle of the skidder trail. When our eyes met he snorted and spun. By his second bound I had the cross hairs on him and when he turned to go into the spruce edge at about 60 yards I fired with the cross hairs on the front of his neck. After the shot I looped around to try and see him running away, but saw nothing. I went back to where he was when I shot and there he was stone dead. 35 Whelen bullet struck right in the spine/neck. Did not come out. I was surprised by that. Not too blessed in the rack department, but happy to get any mature buck up there. #223 dressed weight. My friend who was hunting with me did not get a buck, but passed a small buck. Had a great trip. Thanks for reading. maine5.jpg maine2.jpg

Last edited:

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Congrats on a great buck! It was sure warm up but man, they were moving for sure!!

stumpjumper

Reaction score
nice buck! ive shot a few up there in the neck icluding this years with an 06 and the bullet didnt go thru but rather exsplode in the neck.my guess is at close yardage the velocity is soo high the bullet cant take it.didnt really matter as the deer never moved afterwards.i always use 180gr remington round nose soft points

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
nice buck! ive shot a few up there in the neck icluding this years with an 06 and the bullet didnt go thru but rather exsplode in the neck.my guess is at close yardage the velocity is soo high the bullet cant take it.didnt really matter as the deer never moved afterwards.i always use 180gr remington round nose soft points
Yes, I have shot several in the neck with the Remington Corlkt also. No exit on spine hits. This was a Federal 225 grain, Bear Claw bullet a little "tougher" bullet.

Latest posts