209's vs. 209ML Primers-what's the difference?

Nimrod

Reaction score
I really haven't been able to find a difference between the two?

I just picked up some 209 ML's at LL Cote's in Errol, NH.

Do you think they are more weather-resistant? They certainly cost a bit more. I hate to pay extra money for a marketing ploy. I don't like being suckered.

What are your thoughts?

RememberBaker

Reaction score
The ML specific primers are milder, they are supposed to create less of a “crud ring” with powders like 777. Some people also think that too hot a primer can dislodge the powder and projectile negatively affecting accuracy. I’m not sure that that’s fact or just theory. They are not hot enough for BH209 powder.
All primers are sealed with lacquer and are waterproof for quite awhile.

JJM6

Reaction score
I tried the 777 ML primers and had a ton of hang fires. Totally unreliable with 777 pellets in my Encore. Back to standard 209s that work every time. I have to swab between shots at the range but can get two off in the field.

Nimrod

Reaction score
Interesting! Ok then, I guess that I will stay with the recipe I have then. ML primers and Pyrodex is working just fine for me.

Additionally, I was thinking that a quieter report would likely go hand in hand with a "milder" primer. Seeing that I am having good ignition with the milder ML's, less BANG in the field would be welcoming on the ears when hunting.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
It might be a bit quieter if you’re just popping off caps and had some of each but there won’t be any noticeable difference if you’re firing a normal charge.

Nimrod

Reaction score
So, I saw BH at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and it was twice the price of Pyrodex. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

If it costs that much and it it fussy, why would anyone use it?

I am guessing that you don't use it either.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
So, I saw BH at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and it was twice the price of Pyrodex. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

If it costs that much and it it fussy, why would anyone use it?

I am guessing that you don't use it either.
Because it’s far and away the cleanest burning, least corrosive black powder substitute out there. I can shoot 20 times without swabbing my barrel. It’s not at all fussy if you do what you’re supposed to. It’s the only powder I use in any rifle suitable for it and that includes, Traditions Pursuit XLT’s, Traditions Buckstalker, T/C Omega, T/C Triumph and LHR Redemption. I don’t shoot it in my T/C Black Diamonds because it’s not suitable for plunger type guns.

Last edited:

Latest posts