2021 moose lottery

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Who’s your sub permittee? Where are you staying? Headed up this weekend? C’mon…. Let me live moose hunting g through you!! Lol

Well I checked the permit winners at 6:01 and started to grow out my moustache from that moment on....:giggle:

Kidding aside, when I first realized I'd been drawn I called one of my friends from Maine who had a permit in 2013. I couldn't remember what zone he had drawn back then but he shot a nice 800#+ bull that year. Turns out he had hunted zone 1 that year but offered to see if he could borrow a wall tent if I was interested in going that route, and said he knew a little bit about zone 4. After I got off the phone with him I thought about the logistics of what was ahead. I am swamped at work, with one of my peers spending the year in Africa on deployment making my workload especially heavy so time off to scout would be tough. The heart of this zone is about about a 7 hour drive from home so even weekend trips would be pretty condensed. I texted him back and asked if I were to book a guide if he would still be interested and he was all in on that idea, having always wanted to do a remote tent hunt. I called Schanz Guide Service and talked to Lee for a little bit. I didn't spend too long contemplating, and reserved a spot that evening of the drawing. Most of you guys have probably figured out that I like to do things for myself; hell the first thing I did to build my house was gas up my chainsaw to fetch some timbers! A part of me wishes I was doing this all on my own, as on past moose hunts in VT and one I guided in NH the best part was all of the preparation and time spent afield scouting. That said, at the end of the day I think I made the right call. I applied for 20 years, and as a NR I see this as once in a lifetime opportunity, especially considering some of the uncertainty on the current trends with the moose herd. I talked with Lee again the following week to trade contact info and he said they had booked up within a day or two for September. Sounds like someone he had guided in the past called him as soon as they heard their name on the radio so he will be guiding them and I will likely be with his son Steven. I am certainly looking forward to the adventure, but I am not likely to have a months long log to document the journey (I certainly enjoyed tagging along on your updates, living a bit vicariously through them). I'm going to plan on bringing my kids up there for a few weekends this summer to get acquainted with the lay of the land and catch some brook trout.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Well I checked the permit winners at 6:01 and started to grow out my moustache from that moment on....:giggle:

Kidding aside, when I first realized I'd been drawn I called one of my friends from Maine who had a permit in 2013. I couldn't remember what zone he had drawn back then but he shot a nice 800#+ bull that year. Turns out he had hunted zone 1 that year but offered to see if he could borrow a wall tent if I was interested in going that route, and said he knew a little bit about zone 4. After I got off the phone with him I thought about the logistics of what was ahead. I am swamped at work, with one of my peers spending the year in Africa on deployment making my workload especially heavy so time off to scout would be tough. The heart of this zone is about about a 7 hour drive from home so even weekend trips would be pretty condensed. I texted him back and asked if I were to book a guide if he would still be interested and he was all in on that idea, having always wanted to do a remote tent hunt. I called Schanz Guide Service and talked to Lee for a little bit. I didn't spend too long contemplating, and reserved a spot that evening of the drawing. Most of you guys have probably figured out that I like to do things for myself; hell the first thing I did to build my house was gas up my chainsaw to fetch some timbers! A part of me wishes I was doing this all on my own, as on past moose hunts in VT and one I guided in NH the best part was all of the preparation and time spent afield scouting. That said, at the end of the day I think I made the right call. I applied for 20 years, and as a NR I see this as once in a lifetime opportunity, especially considering some of the uncertainty on the current trends with the moose herd. I talked with Lee again the following week to trade contact info and he said they had booked up within a day or two for September. Sounds like someone he had guided in the past called him as soon as they heard their name on the radio so he will be guiding them and I will likely be with his son Steven. I am certainly looking forward to the adventure, but I am not likely to have a months long log to document the journey (I certainly enjoyed tagging along on your updates, living a bit vicariously through them). I'm going to plan on bringing my kids up there for a few weekends this summer to get acquainted with the lay of the land and catch some brook trout.

I don't blame you for the guide thing. Work, kids, sports , wife and life in general are moving much faster than when we were all in our early 20's. I've never put in for Maine moose hunt, but even when I'm filling out NH's , I've often thought about what the hell I'd do if I was drawn in C2 or A1. I'd probably hire a guide too. As much as I love going north, doing some scouting and fishing would be great, but the reality is I wouldn't have the time. I completely agree with you also about the limited chances to hunt moose. With all that being said.........

Oh......!!!! I'd grow the stache , or at least have it on stand by if needed. It's a game changer . Good luck and can't wait to read about the hunt.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Travis , I'm glad you started the " Stache " at 6:01 , but unfortunately you have been given the wrong advice. The " Stache " only works in New Hampshire . For Maine it has to be a full blown " Beard " . Thankfully there is still time to turn this around . In Maine its " The Bigger The Beard , The Bigger The Bull " ! You might not be able to keep us updated on the scouting missions , but you can certainly take selfies every week so we can be updated on the " Beard Growth " . LOL

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score

Great idea! Relax and enjoy your hunt of a lifetime!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Travis , I'm glad you started the " Stache " at 6:01 , but unfortunately you have been given the wrong advice. The " Stache " only works in New Hampshire . For Maine it has to be a full blown " Beard " . Thankfully there is still time to turn this around . In Maine its " The Bigger The Beard , The Bigger The Bull " ! You might not be able to keep us updated on the scouting missions , but you can certainly take selfies every week so we can be updated on the " Beard Growth " . LOL

Chris, Don't forget....... I started with a full blown greyed up mountain man beard. It wasn't until I sheared all but the lucky moosestache out, did we have a bull all but walk to the truck. Just sayin....... LOL.

Disclaimer:

I can't speak in any sort of scientific study about the results of said facial follicle fashion in the great woods of Maine.

Latest posts