2021 Maine Trip

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Before leaving last Saturday, Nov 20th, my partner took his son out on the property where I work and shot his first buck on NJ's Youth Firearm Day.

We departed Saturday at midday, overnighted in Millinocket and arrived at camp on Sunday morning. We scouted Sunday and found a little sign on the bare ground.

On Monday our first day of hunting it rained heavy all day. We were out stalking the woods and ended up seeing 1 doe each.

On Monday night the soaked leaves froze solid and stayed frozen thru Friday. Yes, Tuesday - Friday. Each step was like breaking glass and could be heard hundreds of yards away. Just a disaster. We like to track, walk and still hunt. Some of the sunny slopes in the afternoon, or mossy spruce ridges were not as bad. We saw a lot less sign than previous years, but there were some deer around.

My friend had a nice bear come by at 10 yards, but did not have a bear tag, thinking they would not be out the last week.

On Friday night it snowed about an inch. On Saturday morning there was enough snow to see a track in the cuts or road, but not enough to follow thru the swamps. We were able to track a buck for a while and saw a couple of does. About 9am it started to really snow hard and blow 40 mph plus and the temps dropped. We got about 5 inches of snow during the day, but couldn't find any bucks to follow. Deer movement was pretty much shut down with the storm.

Departed Saturday night. Wish we could have continued hunting as conditions must be great now.

Wish I had more to report. Had a nice time as usual.
IMG_5393.jpg IMG_5417.jpg IMG_5412.jpg IMG_5414.jpg IMG_5416.jpg

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
Wow on the pic of the bear! Too bad about conditions. Free advice is worth what you pay for it, and you probably know this. My experience on noisy ground was to move faster than I normally would have (pre-bad knees). Last good buck I shot this way was with doe and turned around to see what was following him down the ridge.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow on the pic of the bear! Too bad about conditions. Free advice is worth what you pay for it, and you probably know this. My experience on noisy ground was to move faster than I normally would have (pre-bad knees). Last good buck I shot this way was with doe and turned around to see what was following him down the ridge.
I added a video of it.

groundtender

Reaction score
Not a real fan of mz week, but it looks like I’ll get back to WMD 3 for a few more days. Have to keep trying, and take advantage of the mz permit that comes with my old fart license

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I am actually think of going Muzzleloader week next year. This is the second year in a row I've hunted the week of Thanksgiving without snow. My biggest worry is there will be too much snow.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have been on crunchy snow? At least you had a track to follow.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have been on crunchy snow? At least you had a track to follow.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice bear pictures! Glad to see the boy get one in NJ. Maybe we both can get one in Maine next year.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Great video of the bear. Tough getting it done in those conditions for sure. Good luck rounding out your season in your home state.

Latest posts