2021 Maine September Moose Hunt: 802-603hunter

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Fantastic Trip Report. Loved the stories and photos. Congratulations!

Big D

Reaction score
He sent me pictures of a decent bull they took Monday around noon in zone 7. Called him in on a string I guess.
He's definitely on a roll. Saw some pics last night and it sounded like he wished he had pack for that one.:oops:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
They pulled a tooth when I reported the bull so hopefully I'll get some feedback. It sounded like they hadn't provided results from the 2020 season tooth aging as of the time of our hunt so not sure how soon I'll know.

Yup, 180 gr round nose corelokts, same round I sighted the gun in with 20 plus years ago when I bought it. I haven't found a need to change.

Those pants are the First Lite Obsidians, and I loved them during the hunt. Lightweight for warm days, add a thin base layer for the cooler days and they were perfect. They are quiet, comfortable, and dry quickly when wet. Unfortunately they didn't hold up well in the end and I wore a hole in the crotch, same as I eventually do with a pair of regular green woolies. Apparently I am a bit......I guess the right term would be....."husky" in the thighs. The pants had a nylon wear section in the crotch but it is pretty small. I contacted First Lite and they offered to warranty them but suggested I try the Obsidian Foundry pants or a Corrugate Guide pant. They said they would send me another pair of the Obsidians if I wanted but wouldn't warranty those any further as the same thing would happen. I'm going to try the Obsidian Foundry version to see how those hold up, I guess they are a bit more robust and have some added sections of wear fabric.

On a related note, I did invest in a pair of hiking boots for this hunt. I had never really had a pair of hiking boots for the purpose of hunting, but talking to Stephen during the summer he suggested getting a pair over wearing rubber boots. I had been eyeing a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX for a while after talking with a NH F&G Warden who does a lot of mountain work about what he preferred. They were not cheap, but I considered them an investment and they worked out great on this hunt. My feet stayed dry and they are far lighter than a pair of 18" burlys. I only had them moderately broken in pre-hunt and did get a blister on the back of one heel from not having them laced up tight enough one day, but it wasn't anything some duct tape couldn't manage. I found them locally here for quite a bit cheaper than I could find them online so that was a bonus.
I'm with you on everything you said. My wife bought me a set of FirstLite stuff for bow/turkey and tracking. I love everything about them, they're amazing - but they don't last. I ripped mine in the first week of wearing them too. FirstLite offered to do some warranty work for me, but I know the next set will rip too. So I'm going to dry some modifications.
I'd wear high quality hiking boots all season if I didn't think I'd be in the water/snow over the top. They're awesome.
Congrats again - I bet the kids were pumped to see that skull in the back of your truck when you got home.

BDB

Reaction score
Beautiful moose and an amazing story, congrats on it all!!! I loved the great write up and pics!!!

medrhunter

Reaction score
Perfect story to read on my deck with early morning coffee.
I usually just scan, but read this one, word for word.
Congratulations. Great Hunt!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Hey Travis,

Great write up and congrats on a fantastic bull! I hope your good fortune continues into deer season as well. I won't say good luck, because it takes a heck of a lot more than luck to be successful.

amclimber

Reaction score
Great post! I read it over a cup of coffee, and it got my blood pumping and anxious to get in the woods come mid november. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

I used to wear hiking boots exclusively while hunting; water, snow...didnt matter. When i found the alphaburlys, i found them to be more comfortable overall; particularly in the north country which tends to be wet just about everywhere i hunt.

bmiller

Reaction score
congrats 802 ,beautiful pictures of the views, nice bull sounds like you guys had a blast Thanks for sharing

Reaction score
Awesome story,pics anddd videos!! Thank you for sharing! I saved the videos on our YouTube list of videos to watch to watch on our tv in big screen! Can’t wait to watch them all with hubby! Congrats to you and the enjoyment of your hunt!!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I used to wear hiking boots exclusively while hunting; water, snow...didnt matter. When i found the alphaburlys, i found them to be more comfortable overall; particularly in the north country which tends to be wet just about everywhere i hunt.
I’m with you, I don’t think I’d walk away with dry feet after a day hunting up to camp without rubber boots. There is a lot of water up there even near the tops of the mountains.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
The thrill of getting back into the wild for these animals is like nothing else.
Completely agree. I know a number of folks who don’t seem interested in moose hunting. I know everyone has different reasons, but it shouldn’t be that they don’t see any challenge in it. It is what you choose to make of it. Getting back into the wild like this is certainly an adventure.

Snowed

Reaction score
Congrats. Fanatastic story. Sounds like you may have slept good each night......

Latest posts