2021 Maine Buck

Xbolt

Reaction score
Still doing research got a, couple red flags im looking into concerning the actual pressure, rateing xt seems, hornady and sami are at odds, on the rateing hornady registere it for 62,000 psi sami claims, its, should have been 60,000 many reports of blown primers when trying to load it to 62,000
Hornady has, since, Lowered their factory ammo to 57,000 psi rateing according to google

After the 6.5mm Creedmoor was introduced, it was advertised as a 60,000 psi capable case.[7] However, after it was placed into production, Hornady listed it as 62,000 psi, then registered it with SAAMI as such. For this reason, many hand loaders have poor experiences reloading for it. Blown primers on the first shot at 62,000 psi are not uncommon. Early shooting articles listed the ammo as loaded to 58,000 psi,[5] but later citings list it as 57,000 psi.[24] Hornady reduced the loads in its factory ammo because of complaints it was often blowing primers.[25]

Last edited:

Xbolt

Reaction score
Still doing research got a, couple red flags im looking into concerning the actual pressure, rateing xt seems, hornady and sami are at odds, on the rateing hornady registere it for 62,000 psi sami claims, its, should have been 60,000 many reports of blown primers when trying to load it to 62,000
Hornady has, since, Lowered their factory ammo to 57,000 psi rateing according to google

After the 6.5mm Creedmoor was introduced, it was advertised as a 60,000 psi capable case.[7] However, after it was placed into production, Hornady listed it as 62,000 psi, then registered it with SAAMI as such. For this reason, many hand loaders have poor experiences reloading for it. Blown primers on the first shot at 62,000 psi are not uncommon. Early shooting articles listed the ammo as loaded to 58,000 psi,[5] but later citings list it as 57,000 psi.[24] Hornady reduced the loads in its factory ammo because of complaints it was often blowing primers.[25]
. That would explain why most factory ammo is only loaded to 2,700-2,750 in the 6.5

Xbolt

Reaction score
If i dont go 6.5 creed ive got a, 308 i can rebarrel
To 260 terminator its, defensive edges,
Improved version of the 260 ai

Xbolt

Reaction score
I shot a mule deer 2yrs, ago in montana, @77 yrds, with my 300 wm & 200 grn accubond wasnt much left to the front shoulders way to much gun for close range, deer

JDK

Reaction score
I am not a fan of copper bullets but just about every picture I see on the net of expanded Barnes or all copper look just like that bullet. If compared to those pictures and people are saying that is what they do then it seems as if that bullet preformed as designed. I don’t know

Xbolt

Reaction score
That bullet hardly expanded for a close range shoulder shot. I would imagine it drilling a small hole right thru on a rib cage shot.
Its, not desighned to expand its desighned to shed petals same concept as, berger bybrids and hammer bullets so it performed EXACTLY as, it was, suppose to

Xbolt

Reaction score
I ended up getting the creed now to start load development once i get home right gotta, go kill
Some geese, deer tags, have been filled , to cold to take the boat out

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I am not a fan of copper bullets but just about every picture I see on the net of expanded Barnes or all copper look just like that bullet. If compared to those pictures and people are saying that is what they do then it seems as if that bullet preformed as designed. I don’t know
I have some Barnes Expander copper that did not shed petals expanded beautifully and wholloped the heck out of the deer.

IMG_5320.jpg IMG_5319.jpg

Last edited:

Xbolt

Reaction score
I have some Barnes Expander copper that did not shed petals expanded beautifully and wholloped the heck out of the deer.

View attachment 25500 View attachment 25501
The b

Sorry Longbow, i read his post wrong thought he was useing brownings new bxr ammo which is, desighned To shed petals now that i re read the thread i agree with you being barnes, they should have expanded a lot more my apologies,

Xbolt

Reaction score

Brownings brx is, desighned to shed petals,
They are not the same as, barnes, i do believe browning teamed up. with winchester and which they molded after bergrer & hammer bullets
hammers,bullet desighn is extremely popular
And a lot of ammo makers are scambleing to desighn their own

Last edited:

MGK

Reaction score
We are talking apples and oranges a little here. The Barnes expander is a muzzleloader round. Designed completely different than the rounds they put out on rifles especially the higher velocity rounds. What I look for is on those copper bullets you want them to expand to the “pit”. That’s where the bullet becomes a solid piece of metal vs where it is hollowed out. The design is to keep an “ass end” on them to maintain momentum since the mushroom effect is a huge transfer of energy. Shedding of petals is not optimal but also not uncommon when hitting bone like the shoulder. Here is a Barnes expander that I shot a deer with and has a very similar expansion as seen above C73DB8B3-D1DD-4464-80DE-577785E0ADAC.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
Browning BRX,Barnes TTSX, and others I’m sure are designed very differently than the Barnes Expander. The picture of the bullet Matt posted first preformed Exactly as it was designed. I guess liking or disliking that is a personal decision.

Throwing up a picture of a Barnes Expander was completely off topic. Different bullet, different application, and different design.

WetWool

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way xbolt as I'm certainly no hunting chat veteran but to turn this thread into one about bullet types and bullet composition just doesn't seem right. In Maine a 200 pound buck is something we all seek and the mark we all look for. It was to celebrate a great buck with tons of character shot by a great young man that did his homework and achieved the pinnacle. Again, sorry if I offended anyone, just my take.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The b

Sorry Longbow, i read his post wrong thought he was useing brownings new bxr ammo which is, desighned To shed petals now that i re read the thread i agree with you being barnes, they should have expanded a lot more my apologies,
No problem. (y)

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Browning BRX,Barnes TTSX, and others I’m sure are designed very differently than the Barnes Expander. The picture of the bullet Matt posted first preformed Exactly as it was designed. I guess liking or disliking that is a personal decision.

Throwing up a picture of a Barnes Expander was completely off topic. Different bullet, different application, and different design.
I threw up the picture of a Barnes Expander because you mentioned Barnes, and all copper bullets looked like the one MGK posted.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way xbolt as I'm certainly no hunting chat veteran but to turn this thread into one about bullet types and bullet composition just doesn't seem right. In Maine a 200 pound buck is something we all seek and the mark we all look for. It was to celebrate a great buck with tons of character shot by a great young man that did his homework and achieved the pinnacle. Again, sorry if I offended anyone, just my take.
Good point! Let's get back to talking about Matt's buck or maybe someone can start another thread on bullets! (y) :D

Xbolt

Reaction score
200lb bucks in maine, are like 250- LB Muleys, in montana, its, an average deer you just have to get out of your vehicle and go find them
No offense taken sorry i side, tracked the thread

Latest posts