2021 Maine Buck

MGK

Reaction score
I got home from work Friday night. Saturday morning and Monday were spent surveying the current situation. I found a couple spots had less deer than I hoped but one in particular had a lot of sign. Monday morning I had what looked like a small buck chase a doe past me just after first light. I didn’t get a good look but body wise he wasn’t much bigger than the doe. I also missed a large buck by a couple hours on Monday as he came cruising through between 10-11am. After seeing that I made the choice to do an all day sit, something I’ve never done. I packed a lunch and headed in. I decided I would do some rattling at around 7am and after my second sequence I heard a deer headed my way at a decent pace. He again like during bow season stuck in the alders but I could make him out well enough to know it was the big 6. He was stomping and grunting looking for those “bucks” but just wouldn’t come out of the alders. After side skirting me for about 50 yards I knew my options were limited. I found a tiny hole and 1 well placed shot did the trick. I’m very lucky and privileged to be able to chase these deer. It’s a big game of cat and mouse and is always a good feeling on that rare occasion when it all comes together. He’s my biggest to date. 6pt 201lbs

B6D459AD-B14E-4FD6-8F01-5DE5479099D6.jpeg 0771B8A7-4190-4CA9-B1ED-4DEBD605B36E.jpeg CA840DED-7683-499C-B3CA-A8E711717C30.jpeg

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Congrats MGK! What a brute of a deer and he has such a cool rack. Is this a deer you have had on camera before?

Reactions: MGK

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
How old do you think he is?

Congratulations! I'd love to shoot a giant 6 like that!

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Beautiful deer Matt. Congratulations

Reactions: MGK

WetWool

Reaction score
I dont think any of us fimiliar with MGK were surprised yesterday morning when the "BIG BUCK DOWN' text came out, just a matter of when for this kid!:cool: Perhaps a little more back story is in order for people - Many years ago JDK and his buddies and me and my buddies hooked up for some East Grand ice fishing. In tow was a 12-13 year old MGK. Conditions were awful that weekend with slush up to you nutts. While the rest of us stayed huddled around the ice shack drinking beer and telling lies, MGK spent his weekend punching a 100 holes over the deep hole jigging every one of them! He caught better fish than us then and shoots better deer than us now! In this day and age where "good enough is good enough" with our young people Matt certainly bucks (pun intended😁) that trend.

The coolest thing is the little rivalry that exists between JDK and MGK - as happy as dad was for Matt, dont be thinking for one second Jay doesn't want to shoot one 202 this weekend and Matt wouldn't want it any other way! Great stuff indeed!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I dont think any of us familiar with MGK were surprised yesterday morning when the "BIG BUCK DOWN' text came out, just a matter of when for this kid!:cool:
Hey WW , I have no doubt about everything you said is true about Matt . But why do I get the feeling you left something out in that " BIG BUCK DOWN " text .

Something like " BIG BUCK DOWN ! Grab the Jet Sled and come help me drag him out " :D

Latest posts