2021 Bear Hunt

benny8

Reaction score
Well its about 2 weeks away from my Maine Black Bear hunt. Had this booked since 2019. Folks bought a new home in Virginia in July of 2019 so I had to use my week that was planned for the bear hunt, to help move some stuff into their new home. Then we all know about the 2020 shit show. Finally this year we will be able to go. This is hunt number one on our bucket list of hunts. I'm hunting and the wife is filming. Looks like I might try deer hunting Maine this fall as I will have a license. Will keep you all posted!

benny8

Reaction score
We got back a week ago from our Bear Hunt in Maine. I highly recommend, if anyone interested, Shamrock Outfitters in Orient, ME. My wife and I had a great time and made a few lifelong friends with the other hunters. We didn't see anything the first evening, but three of the other hunters shot bears. An 80 year old hunter shot and thought he missed a large bear. The cameras at the site indicated he had hit it, but made a bad shot. Unfortunately, that bear was not recovered. They have a 17 year old young man that they have been mentoring since he was 12 and he works for them. He is a hard worker. Leaps and bounds ahead of his generation. He saw a bear the first evening as well, but it didn't present an ethical shot. My wife and I shared a blind. We are used to our hub blind, and was expecting one the same size. The one we sat in was an old Dog House blind. Had just enough room for 2 plastic lawn chairs. The first evening sit was pretty cramped and we soon realized we didn't need quite a few things we had brought. The bait barrel was about 25 yards from the blind. They dropped us off at 130pm and legal shooting ended at 744pm. Talk about a long sit. The next evening we got dropped off about 2pm. This sit was more comfortable. I had taken the "time-out" function off the camcorder cuz every time it would auto off, the shutter would make a clicking noise when closed. It would use a lot of battery, but I was ok with it because I had about 5 batteries. About 6pm Sarah says the battery is dead. I tell her there is more in the front pocket of her backpack. She empties all the pockets with no battery to be found. That's when it dawns on me that i forgot to get them out of the other back pack we had downsized. I start pissing and moaning and She tells me it will be fine. If a bear comes in, she will film with my cell phone. After some bellyaching, I notice the orange ribbon above the bait barrel is blowing from left to right. I tell her that I think if a bear comes in, it will come from the right. Sure enough, I look right and see a black blob moving in our direction. She doesn't believe me at first until she see's for herself. My gun is resting on the bipod with the butt pad resting in my elbow. I slowly position the gun against my shoulder and watch the bear make his way to the barrel. I'm whispering to Sarah not to move as the bears head comes out from behind a tree and is next to the barrel. He glances in our direction and then fully emerges to walk broadside in front of the barrel. When his left leg stepped forward to take the next step, my Ruger American Predator .308 sent a 180 grain Core-lokt soft point thru his lungs. Sarah lowered the phone as he ran off towards the right out of my sight due to the blind and trees. She says he's down, and I ask to confirm and she says it again excitedly. We congratulate each other and then call the guides wife to let her know I just shot a bear. She is very happy for us and lets us know that the young man has also killed one. She tells us it will be about 45 minutes before someone picks us up. I ask her if its ok to go and make sure its dead where Sarah thinks it dropped. She tells me yes if I feel confident about doing it. Sarah guides me from the blind to the last place she saw it and thinks its down. Just before getting out of the blind, I see a hole in the barrel from my pass thru and I second guess my shot placement. The hole is above the first band down from the top of the barrel. I'm thinking its too high of a hit. I get over to where Sarah is directing me and the ground indents about 18". I look real quick and don't see a bear and I'm thinking SOB, we are going to have to track this bear into the swamp. Then Sarah says "see that bright green cluster of leaves? That's where he should be." I locate the patch of leavers and sure enough, that's where he lay. I dragged him to the blind and we waited to be picked up. The guide field dressed him and does an autopsy on every bear to use as information. He writes for the Maine Sporting Journal. He said my bullet went thru all three lobes of one lung, took out 2/3 of the aorta and totally destroyed the other lung. Perfect shot on a bear. He weighed 130 lbs and was my first bear. The next day I dropped the hide and head off to the Crown Of Maine Taxidermy to have a rug made for the Shamp. Great time on our first bucket list hunt and had great food and met great people.
21 bear.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
Sounds like a great hunt and congratulations on the bear.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed and were successful on your bear hunt! However, I don’t understand an outfitter that relies purely on face book to advertise his business.
I’m not a user of that freedom hating site. I will not use an outfitter that doesn’t have a full website other than fb.
Their loss as far as I’m concerned.

Browseline

Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed and were successful on your bear hunt! However, I don’t understand an outfitter that relies purely on face book to advertise his business.
I’m not a user of that freedom hating site. I will not use an outfitter that doesn’t have a full website other than fb.
Facebook is what you make of it. I avoid commenting on all the political crap and focus on the hunting groups and posts of distant relatives that live to far away for me to visit often. For example one group "Maine Deer Hunters" has 44,000 members and NH Deer Hunting has 27,000 members. You have to be accepted by administrators and/or moderators who sponsor the groups and if you get out of line or are anti hunting you are gone. Pretty much positive posts. Only those who are in the group can see the posts or make comments. Lots of great stories and pictures. Good way for outfitters to reach tens of thousands of people by making a post in one or both of these groups.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Wow! You drew first blood of the season. That was a nice write up and a fine looking bear. Congratulations.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
My wife’s a good sport about most things hunting but there’s no way she’d sit in a blind that size with me for any length of time 😆. Congrats on the bear.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Facebook is what you make of it. I avoid commenting on all the political crap and focus on the hunting groups and posts of distant relatives that live to far away for me to visit often. For example one group "Maine Deer Hunters" has 44,000 members and NH Deer Hunting has 27,000 members. You have to be accepted by administrators and/or moderators who sponsor the groups and if you get out of line or are anti hunting you are gone. Pretty much positive posts. Only those who are in the group can see the posts or make comments. Lots of great stories and pictures. Good way for outfitters to reach tens of thousands of people by making a post in one or both of these groups.
That’s why is a free country…for now.

benny8

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It was a small blind, but my wife is used to small things;). LOL

Congrats Aaron!!! I've been waiting to read the report.
Thanks Shawn! We had a blast!

To each their own Mow. He is a Small Outfitter. He takes 5 hunters a week. He is retired from the State Police, Smith and Wesson and Ruger. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to everything Black Bear. They are a very family oriented Outfitter. Evan, the young man that I spoke of, has been going to East Grand lake since he was 12 years old. His father was a dead beat. Bob and Tom have been mentoring him for 5 years. The kid baits and takes hunters to their stands and is a natural blood tracker. Those guys have changed his life. I have nothing but good things to say about their operation. They put you up in a nice camp, feed you well and put you on bears for a reasonable price. What more can you ask for?

Latest posts