2020 Shed Season

rustyg

Reaction score
Shed hunting this year was pretty disappointing due to COVID and states quarantining, I did't get out much at all, which included my week long trip with my buddy.
Of the 6 times I went out, 4 of them there was too much snow.
This past weekend I went up to camp for three days. Things had turned green and the black flies were out. Temps were pushing into the 70s.
I did find one set of sheds, except they were still attached to the skull. I always hate finding dead moose.
But I will say it was quite a find. I had to get the F&G to come out and investigate before I could bring it out of the woods.
It was 3/4 of a mile from the logging road. It weighs about 50 lbs and has a 53 inch spread.
The warden figured it was from 2018 as most of the bones were scattered and the was no hide or flesh to be found.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but both sides have almost double paddles. I'm not sure where I'm going to display it.
Hopefully things calm down so I can get out this fall.
Rusty

20200603_173548 (480x640).jpg 20200603_174634 (432x576).jpg

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Very Nice Find ! Is that the law that you have to have F+ G investigate the site before you can take the deadhead ?
Never heard of that one . I would think it would be a waste of their time coming to view every winterkill or predator kill bull found

Browseline

Reaction score
Very Nice Find ! Is that the law that you have to have F+ G investigate the site before you can take the deadhead ?
Never heard of that one . I would think it would be a waste of their time coming to view every winterkill or predator kill bull found
We left this in the woods until we talked to a Warden in Northern NH in 2010. It was only 150 yards or so from a driveable road. He said as long as we had a GPS location to bring it out and he would tag it. Said he would go back to the site with a metal detector looking for a bullet as there were a lot of bones left. He also said that they had a couple cases they were investigating from the following year and like to know when a skull and antlers are found. We told him the location where we found it and he said there were no open cases near that area. He also said that one fellow in the area had found 3 moose skulls with large antlers that spring. They suspected that he had shot them in the fall and went back in the spring to pick them up as it was pretty rare for anyone to find even one big one in a springs worth of shed hunting and this guy wasn't a hard core shed hunter. We took the skull home and the Warden never called back about it. We knew there would be a lot of questions about the antlers as they were 64.5 inches wide and scored in the high 190's B&C even thought the scorer estimated that the antlers could have lost up to 12 or so inches from the tips being chewed. My buddy is holding the antlers in the picture. A couple of the points near the shovels are over 24" long for a reference. I don't know exactly what the law reads now concerning skulls with antlers, but we weren't about to take any chances even back then.

Attachments

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
They were pretty heavy too. My friend found them, but I got to carry them a hundred yards or so.
I dont know what the record is in Maine for moose antler score but that dead head has to be close , or maybe could of beat the record before it was chewed

That thing is enormous

Browseline

Reaction score
I dont know what the record is in Maine for moose antler score but that dead head has to be close , or maybe could of beat the record before it was chewed

That thing is enormous
It probably would have been in the top 5 in NH if whole and would be in the top 10 chewed I believe. Not sure about Maine. I think Rustyg's NH moose he got a few years ago is 3rd? And now he has a huge deadhead to go with it.

groundtender

Reaction score

That thing is enormous
Maine record is 220 and a fraction I believe. Aroostook County. 20 years ago???

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Maine record is 220 and a fraction I believe. Aroostook County. 20 years ago???
The current Maine record is from 2012. 221-0/8

Linage

Reaction score
I always hate finding dead moose.
[/QUOTE]

I feel you, it's more rewarding the other way around. But, still a great find! Congrats, Man!

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Very nice find. I found a deer one spring but it only had one antler attached. I think it may have lost the other before it died?

Latest posts