2020 Moose Lottery Drawing Event

MackLegacy

Reaction score
0 for 9, at least that’s how many years I think I’ve been in. Starting to lose count

medrhunter

Reaction score
Anybody?

FYI: Non-Residents only got 4.5 % of the Sep Bull hunts, not the 8% they should have gotten
But they got 10% of the cow hunts and 9.4% of the Oct Bull hunts.
In total, only 43 NR got a Sep hunt. Should have been 76 according to the info IFW gave me before the drawing.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Anybody?

FYI: Non-Residents only got 4.5 % of the Sep Bull hunts, not the 8% they should have gotten
But they got 10% of the cow hunts and 9.4% of the Oct Bull hunts.
In total, only 43 NR got a Sep hunt. Should have been 76 according to the info IFW gave me before the drawing.
I believe the reason why the NR permits are cut short is those are the tags they sell to the Maine Guides
The guides pay 1000-1500 bucks and then sell them to NR hunters for $15,000+
They dont take any out of the Maine resident allocations for guide tags.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I believe the reason why the NR permits are cut short is those are the tags they sell to the Maine Guides
The guides pay 1000-1500 bucks and then sell them to NR hunters for $15,000+
They dont take any out of the Maine resident allocations for guide tags.
Thats when the NR permits went from 10% down to 8% (2 years ago I think)
Those came out of the 2% reduction.

In total NR got exactly 8% as expected, but only 4.5 % of Sept Bull and 10% of Oct Bull and Cow.
No non-resident that I talked to put a cow hunt as a higher preference over a bull hunt

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
It does seem like a strange split, but the total is 8% of all permits which is in line with their goal. I wonder how the bull/cow distribution per zone and season impacts their allocation for non residents. For example do they try to shoot for X % for one or the other. If there are no cow permits for a zone or season, does that affect the model.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I think that explains it.
Do ya think? What about all the lodges in 7-8-9? There isn’t even a sept season, so I would assume if a lodge got drawn in 8, they would get an 8 bull Oct as there is no sept season. They aren’t giving Lodge permits outside their zones are they? That alone I think would help the distribution of the 2% to be more oct based or at least help it be a split. Just thinking out loud.

groundtender

Reaction score
Do ya think? What about all the lodges in 7-8-9? There isn’t even a sept season, so I would assume if a lodge got drawn in 8, they would get an 8 bull Oct as there is no sept season. They aren’t giving Lodge permits outside their zones are they? That alone I think would help the distribution of the 2% to be more oct based or at least help it be a split. Just thinking out loud.
Good points for sure. Sometimes I think The Dept wants us to be so confused that we’ll stop asking questions

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I wonder if this drought continues if it will impact the moose and their locations during the hunt. It will probably come around, but bog holes and swamps are dry as a popcorn fart right now.
A guy made a comment to me 3 years ago......."we never get considerable snow fall until all the bogs and swamps are full". Well I've been paying attention the last few Novembers and I'll be a SOB but it's been true. Could it be coincidence ? Sure....... but we've had early snow the last 3 years and the bogs and swamps were full as hell before it came in.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
June 13 the Fed Ex truck showed up with my Hawk Crawler deer cart. Can't remember what I was doing but sat the cart in the garage. About 10 past one I remembered the moose drawing and sat down and plugged my headphones and tuned in. My buddy was texting me and must have sat there for 45 minutes with no luck. I decided to go out in the garage and assemble the deer cart. I had my cell phone with me and I was on the last bolt and I get a text from my buddy and he said I got a tag. I texted him back and said are you serious and he sent back Yes. Now I am pumped. I call him and he said yes I was picked but he missed the season and zone? I signed back on the drawing site and fast forwarded the drawing to about when he text me and about 15 minutes I saw my name for a Cow permit zone 5 the last week in October. This is my first permit and if it takes this long again I will be pushing 90 if I am still around. The last day of this hunt is also the first day of gun season for Deer. Cow in the morning and Buck in the afternoon?