2020 Moose Lottery Drawing Event

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Are they jumping the gun cancelling this? I think most of Maine is going to be wide open by June 13th.

Moose Hunting Permit Drawing
The 2020 Maine Moose Permit Drawing, originally planned to be held in Jackman at Unity College Sky Lodge, will now be a virtual event broadcast live on June 13, 2020 at 1pm.

Along with the drawing of the names of the lucky hunters, there will be some special presentations hosted by Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Biologists and Game Wardens that will focus on moose biology, management and hunting techniques. We will share more information soon!

We will look forward to the town of Jackman hosting the moose permit drawing event in June of 2021!

The full results will be made available online by 6pm Saturday, June 13 at mefishwildlife.com

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
My hope is that a lot of things will be back to normal by then, but any large gathering of people will still have lots of restrictions

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I think it’s over the top, but you need lead times for everything.

A few of my hunting buddies and I were going to head up to town, just because it’s close and check it out. Never been, never had an interest. I told them we can watch it on the TV here in the garage if it’s safe to do so. I can’t believe this is going to be the 3rd year I have been drawn, so want to hear my name.

Last edited:

skinner

Reaction score
was planning to go as I have been to several just for fun and to see people that i see there plus this year i was going to return a tree stand i found in my area that was stolen from long pond camps up that area have talked to them and was going to meet them at sportsman show in augusta but that did not happen so will make other arrangements. stand was about 100 miles from where it belonged, land was being clearcut and flattened and choppers had taken stand down but left it there so i moved it to avoid demo.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
We are all experiencing different situations across the country. It is sad and unfortunate but it does not surprise me at all.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Two out of three times I’ve drawn I had forgotten the drawing! Just sayin’
One time my buddy called me and was like “hey, I’m listening to the drawing on the radio you just got drawn”. I was crazy excited, he was all drunk hooting and hollering and got me hootin” then said “just kidding”. I hung up on him.

5 minutes later he calls me back and said I got drawn. I didn’t believe him and hung up. Then I read it in the paper the next morning. 😂

medrhunter

Reaction score
A few of us from NJ were going to head up.
We deer hunt in Jackman so would have been perfect time to do some scouting.
Last time we saw it live in Kittery my buddy got picked.
So much fun being there. Great to talk with others who got picked and hear their stories.
Going to do a Moose barbecue and watch on YouTube I guess.
This should finish up the 2016 Moose in time to get picked again 😆

medrhunter

Reaction score
Just saw Maine governor posted reopening guidelines for the state.
Looks like non-residents and residents who have left the state and are returning have to "quarantine" for two weeks until Sept 1st.
Big restrictions on outfitters about providing food and lodging as well.
I contacted IFW and asked what the policy will be for non-residents if quarantine extends into Moose season.
They will allow NR to defer their permits to 2021.
Very fair I thought.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
If it's shut down until Sept. many Maine residents will be shooting moose as a matter of survival without a permit, and rightly so.
My father's old rule of thumb was...any time after July 4th, the critters are fair game. Not a rule I necessarily agree with or abide by; but we wouldn't go hungry at our house. This was his rule years ago...As he aged he enjoyed just "seeing them" as much as shooting them .

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My father's old rule of thumb was...any time after July 4th, the critters are fair game. Not a rule I necessarily agree with or abide by; but we wouldn't go hungry at our house. This was his rule years ago...As he aged he enjoyed just "seeing them" as much as shooting them .
God bless him, and I'm sure he only took enough for what he needed for his family. If everyone did that there would be no need for seasons and limits.

Bowhunter3030

Reaction score
Just put in for the lottery today. Hoping for the best for anyone that get drawn an will be able to hunt this year. Good luck to all!!