2020 Maine & NH Ducks

Pine-lock

Reaction score
My 10 year old has been bitten by the hunting, fishing and just about anything outdoors bug pretty bad. This year I took him out on youth duck day in Maine for an afternoon hunt on a pond that we've done a little fishing at and have typically seen ducks on. When we first showed up the water was so low even getting the canoe in was tricky due to some deep mud. We paddled the shore and saw a couple teal tucked in by some downed trees. He got his gun up as we floated within range and ended up missing them, most likely due to bad coaching on my part. On the shot multiple birds from all over the pond took flight and to make a long story short some made the bad decision of circling right over our boat. He was able to knock one down and after a tricky and muddy retrieval could not have been more proud.

Last weekend I took him out with a friend of ours in NH. We ended up cold and very wet but were able to come home with a few ducks. Woodies this time. They were a little to quick for him to shoot but I was able to take a few home. I'll see about getting some pictures up.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I had duck hunting fever back in the day! I was lucky enough to be invited by some old timers in Canada that hunted the huge marshes of The St Lawrence near Trois Riveries.
It was classic mallard and black duck hunting from a blind that was used from year to year by the same men. My 1st wife was from Canada and it was her uncle that invited me.
Like a yong man's dream come true, from the classic blind, homemade flat bottom boat and riverside camp complete with hot Walleye (dory was the french name) chowder not to mention the beautiful blacks and mallards...quite a thrill motoring through the tall marsh grasses on paths only known to the men that hunted there. Never forget it.

benny8

Reaction score
Great job Dad! I too got bit by the waterfowling bug back in 2007. This was after a trip to Missouri with my brother to hunt waterfowl. The weekend we got back, we witnessed a seldom seen phenomenon in our are: The Black Tornado. It was a cold December morning. We were in the mouth of brook that dumped into the river. Water was knee deep and we were setting decoys. My brother says he hears wings and we see a black mass flying up the river. Its still 10 minutes or better before shooting light. Then we hear the sound of wings, hundreds of wings! Fat mallards start dropping into the hole we are standing in. We jump onto the bank and watch the show. A tornado of fat mallards are circling the hole. Looking up we can see them bumping into one another trying to get into the small hole. Look at my watch and we still have 3 minutes until legal. The dog is going ballistic, like "shoot'em you idiots!". There were so many ducks in this hole you couldn't tell ducks from the decoys. Then in a matter of seconds, they all lifted off and flew across the river to a cut corn field. Never fired a shot. As soon as they left, the alarm went off to signal legal shooting time. What a sight! I've also made my own decoys, made my own layout boats and refurbished an old StarCraft boat to brand new as a duck hunting/fishing boat. Trained my own labs to retrieve. Duck hunting was a blast when I had my brother going with me every weekend. Now, he's 44, and been hit with a form of arthritis and auto immune disease, he can no longer partake. Those were good times! Looks to me like you got yourself a hunting buddy for life! Stay safe and good luck to you guys!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Great stories!^^

Looks like we're going to give it another go in Maine this weekend for ducks. It's youth weekend for deer too so I think we're in for a busy day.

We also have a crew of guys coming to camp to bird hunt and scout and sight in rifles and stack some wood before deer camp in a few weeks.

SierraValleyLabs

Reaction score
That's great. Keeping our hunting traditions alive for the next generation. We volunteer with the state fish and game to guide new kids on planted pheasant hunts with our dogs.

Latest posts