2020 Hunting Plans

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
What are your plans for this fall?

Will be hunting here in NJ, for deer and bear. Going to go after the big bear here that I have been seeing for many years. I think I have him figured out. He is very old and hopefully he is still alive. If not there is another big one around. Night pics of the big bear and day pic of the other big one.

Then I will be traveling to Maine and hunting the 2nd, third and part of the 4th week, coming home for Thanksgiving.

After Thanksgiving I will be hunting the gun season here.

Will be putting cameras out soon and some mineral blocks and bait to see what deer and bear are around. 10260588.JPG 10280273.JPG IMG_2780.PNG 10260588.JPG 10280273.JPG IMG_2780.PNG bear13.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
You must have he use of a tractor to haul a monster like those bruins out of the woods!
My plans are just to leave my basement with my crossbow and pistol for bear and archery, the muzzleloader season, and finally my BAR for the buck season. I will be moving my ladder stand and ground blind to (hopefully) a more “hidden” spot (with a better prevailing wind location) near a signpost scrape where most of the buck activity happens in the rut. There are always does around so hopefully a doe (or buck) with the crossbow.
Yup, just stand hunting near my own place...and happy to be able to do it!

groundtender

Reaction score
Zone 4 Maine for a few days 1st week deer. Zones north and east of that parts of week 2,3, & possibly 4. But that all could change. Good luck getting that NJ giant out of the woods. He’s too big to call him a hog, more like a hippo.

Boreal

Reaction score
Hopefully, early September I'll be stalking salmon streams in Alaska for archery brown bear. The trip is already paid for and the flights already booked. It all depends on the covid situation.

Back home in New Jersey bowhunting deer for the rest of September and October.

November 1st I'll be in Iowa for 10 days with a zone 4 tag in my pocket.

Then back to Jersey for more deer hunting with bow and muzzleloader. Possibly a weekend of two in the Adirondacks.

December I have at least one trip for sea ducks. Specifically old squaw and common eider.

Than more deer hunting at home and coyote in January and February.

Last edited:

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
September will be CT archery, Mid-oct Mass or CT archery, Late Oct Montana mule deer, early Nov Mass archery, part of 3rd and 4th week Maine rifle, Then all of Dec is MA shotgun and MA Muzzleloader

JJM6

Reaction score
Maybe a couple of NH Archery hunts in early October, off to NC Oct 19th for a week of deer/rifle, and back in time for NH muzzleloader. Gonna be a great season!

Grandkid

Reaction score
NH archery, Maine 1st week hunt and then who knows-maybe I'll go back up if it's not filled, NH gun after that. I put in for a point in Iowa to draw a bow tag so looking forward to that in three years.

JJM6

Reaction score
Anyone out there hunt southern NH.....Chester to the coast that might be looking for a hunting partner or two to increase our odds with these NH bucks? I hunt with one buddy and my dad who at 80 goes out less and less. I find myself hunting solo often these days and would welcome some company. I have a few honeyholes of my own and you should too!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Hopefully, early September I'll be stalking salmon streams in Alaska for archery brown bear. The trip is already paid for and the flights already booked. It all depends on the covid situation.
Back home in New Jersey bowhunting deer for the rest of September and October.
November 1st I'll be in Iowa for 10 days with a zone 4 tag in my pocket.
Then back to Jersey for more deer hunting with bow and muzzleloader. Possibly a weekend of two in the Adirondacks.
December I have at least one trip for sea ducks. Specifically old squaw and common eider.
Than more deer hunting at home and coyote in January and February.
Oh Man ! Im exhausted just reading your hunting itinerary schedule , never mind actually doing it ! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I’ll be atchery hunting in VT for the first time in about 10 years, looking forward to that. We will be youth hunting in VT, and if things work out early on that front we will try to head up to camp for NH youth. We have two kids who are pretty disappointed that the VT and NH youth weekends are now on the same weekend. Not to mention two dads who see a lost opportunity to instill deeper roots in camp culture.

I’ll likely hit the first three days of NH rifle at camp before heading to VT opening weekend at a friends camp. Not sure if I’ll hunt ML in NH before that or not. Thanksgiving week will consist of NH and ME from camp (start praying for snow now). Close it out with VT muzzleloader, hoping I won’t be relegated to having to fill an antlerless permit (or as I call it my VIP: venison insurance policy) to put meat in the freezer.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
The only thing I have set in stone is VT rifle, Muzzleloader, and Maine the week of Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to add an ADK or NH hunt in there at some point.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Well, my once in a life timed Dall sheep trip to Alaska is supposed to be in about 1 week (8/4 departure). That has been cancelled due to the pandemic. I will post next week about my recent shooting adventures. Since I am not heading to Alaska, and no one got a moose permit I am hopeful to have some more time up in Maine chasing deer. Big D and I will be up there for the third week, I am not sure if I will add some time earlier or later.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I cancelled my Dec trip to New Mexico. I had a cow tag and was going to be hunting the Gila National forrest. With so much uncertainty about kids returning to school, I didn't want my two school age kids to be forced into quarantine because of me when I got home and I sure as hell wasn't sleeping in the garage.

Having a moose permit softened that blow quite a bit. Hopefully NM will be in the cards for Dec 2021.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Did you draw a tag or just get it from the outfitter?
I was going through an outfitter. He has been great and I presume their businesses are being crushed. I hope to get up there maybe next year. I am just getting into my bucket list stuff and am hoping to go after a Dall sheep and a goat, and then of course some elk and moose but can do those two in the states.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I cancelled my Dec trip to New Mexico. I had a cow tag and was going to be hunting the Gila National forrest. With so much uncertainty about kids returning to school, I didn't want my two school age kids to be forced into quarantine because of me when I got home and I sure as hell wasn't sleeping in the garage.

Having a moose permit softened that blow quite a bit. Hopefully NM will be in the cards for Dec 2021.
Totally understand the conundrum - I Hope you get a chance next year. Pack all the effort into the Moose Trip!

Boreal

Reaction score
Well, my once in a life timed Dall sheep trip to Alaska is supposed to be in about 1 week (8/4 departure). That has been cancelled due to the pandemic. I will post next week about my recent shooting adventures. Since I am not heading to Alaska, and no one got a moose permit I am hopeful to have some more time up in Maine chasing deer. Big D and I will be up there for the third week, I am not sure if I will add some time earlier or later.

Who cancelled your hunt? I'm booked in Alaska and last I heard other than the 72 hour covid negative test there were no other travel restrictions or hunt cancellations.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
My youngest boy wants to hunt bear this year so I'll have to line up some bait and put up a stand soon. My brother and oldest boy were given my dad's Maine moose hunt permit after he passed last year; two days before the hunt. That is for the September hunt and I'll be along with them for that...I also have the second week of November for deer season.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My youngest boy wants to hunt bear this year so I'll have to line up some bait and put up a stand soon. My brother and oldest boy were given my dad's Maine moose hunt permit after he passed last year; two days before the hunt. That is for the September hunt and I'll be along with them for that...I also have the second week of November for deer season.
Condolences on your Dad passing...

I'm sure he will be smiling down on them during the hunt.

Latest posts