2019 Zone 8 Moose

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
So this was my friend Trevor and I’s 4th moose hunt together since 1999. He drew the tag this time with me as a subpermittee. As I collected some sheds this winter and were keeping tabs on the moose, the fact that we deer and bird hunt up there, we didnt scout too much prior. We had 4-5 spots called out, and saw a few moose sat and Sunday riding around. Trevor said he wasn’t going to be too picky, and I was fine with that.

Monday we went to a long clear cut with a spruce bog down below that had good sign and a couple wallows. We got in about an hour before dark and snuck down under the moonlight to a good spot. At first light I started raking some brush and doing some bull grunts. Immediately we heard a cow call above us on the ridge, which was another hunter. We let him do his thing and figured any bull moving towards him, had to move through our cuts so we sat tight for an hour. Nothing.

We moved to another spot we liked and walked down this grassy road and noticed a set of moose tracks in the frost on the crown off the road. We moved down to a log yard and I raked the brush with a moose shoulder blade from my 2008 hunt. I heard a soft grunt from down below, so I gave him 2 grunts from a bitch bark call I had made earlier, then got two more back. I raked a bit more and gave out a loud grunt and on a dead run we could see a bull streaking through the woods, came up skidder path and gave us a good look and started doing the typically swagger and head roll. I told Trevor to let him have it and he put 2 real good shots in it which ended up taking out both lungs, then 2 follow ups. He went only about 10 yards.

Used the Inreach and got 3 buddies on site in 15 minutes and a quick 100 yards out to the road he came. Bird hunted a couple days, and came home this morning for work and save a couple days vacation for deer season. 1231E926-B0D1-45B0-8FFE-03D2637186AB.jpeg
E9BD8556-0489-479F-BE72-3BCD769EAA4E.jpeg89BA591C-F58F-43BA-9507-5009236249B0.jpeg9B16FCBF-4DAD-4536-BBBD-F00DA8AE7819.jpg70D0CD1A-F0A2-416F-B620-E8729882CFA2.jpg

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Sounded really efficient. Congratulations and thanks for the photos of the hunt and trip. Those birds look tasty.

Roger-

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Nice bull congrats, great pics too. You boys make it look easy to those who don't know better, lol. Nice way to start the hunting season. Congrats again.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That's great!!! One of the biggest things I miss about the hay days of NH's moose hunt was being part of the hillbilly moose militia having to drag one out. That looks like a helluva trip.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats on a great bull!
It was pretty small actually, a little over 600 and 38.5 inches, but was one of the best hunts I’ve ever experienced. From the time we started calling to the shooting ended was like 2-3 minutes of the most intense situation I’ve been in and I’ve called in a bunch and shot a few. To me that was the best part of it.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Another great hunt. Congratulations.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Fantastic - congratulations. great photos and it looks like the birds were plentiful too. That is going to be a good freezer full.