2019 Trap Line and Outdoor Pursuits

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I cut on Tuesday morning and hadn’t changed up my bar oil over to winter weight yet. At -3 I had to warm up my saw indoors for a while. They’d hit those tops hard this week.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Hahaha, at first I thought he was challenging us to guess, then I felt bad about burning his spot!
Wouldn’t be burning my spot. I kept it vague for the men who have been religiously fishing there for years.

Have you hunted around the location? It looks like some lean country though it has to hold some big deer.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be burning my spot. I kept it vague for the men who have been religiously fishing there for years.

Have you hunted around the location? It looks like some lean country though it has to hold some big deer.

Many, many years ago I used to catch some very large bass and pickerel across the road. We did see deer sign down low.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I caught a red fox in one of my hay sets during the storm the other day. I was surprised having not expected to catch anything during the storm.

After the catch (remake):

B5132C5E-4CA8-46D9-935A-9BFB6715F79C.jpeg

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Same set as above.

I had a miss yesterday and added some guide rocks and more hay with hopes of being more efficient. I drove by the set at 7 AM and 3 PM. Both times there was no action. At 4 PM I drove up to a red fox!

6CBCE85B-76DC-454D-A1FB-A901E7567476.jpeg

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I remember walking toward my set as a kid, and even when you couldn't see the animal, you knew something was different and it was so exciting. I remember this specifically with fox more than others. They always seemed to find a way to hide themselves .

outdoorsman

Reaction score
When I started trapping I set a foothold on a slide wire for beaver and the trap connected the first night. When I walked up the next morning I momentarily had an uneasy feeling thinking I lost a trap. I then remembered it was a slide wire and indicated I was likely successful. The excitement started when I pulled the wire with a beaver attached.

The feeling of success still hits me to this day.

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
My hay set hooked up with a third red fox this morning. I am using the liver from the crossbow button buck as bait and thinking this set should be named the money set.

D3604D02-4351-4A4E-882F-BB0276CE1E7A.jpeg

NH Mountains

Reaction score
My hay set hooked up with a third red fox this morning. I am using the liver from the crossbow button buck as bait and thinking this set should be named the money set.

View attachment 21614
Nice job. Do you know if the coyotes have been visiting the set as well? I love deer liver. Don’t think I’d ever use it as bait.

mowbizz

Reaction score

View attachment 21614

Did the fox expire in the trap or did you dispatch it? Also, I’m with you on the liveras bait...I hate any kind of liver.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Coyotes have been through though I can only say I suspect they’ve checked the set out. I had a miss the second night out and the trap was partially dug out of its bed. Usually coyotes will avoid a set once they identify the set and I think that may have occurred.

Normally I eat the liver of any young deer I shoot. I ate about 1/3 of this liver and placed the remainder in a barrel outdoors. I figured too much liver in a month may not be good for me. I’ve tried freezing liver in the past and found a whole liver is a lot of liver.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Did the fox expire in the trap or did you dispatch it? Also, I’m with you on the liveras bait...I hate any kind of liver.

I shot the fox with a .22LR. NH has a 24 hour check law and our climate is warm which means animals caught in footholds will be alive and healthy come time of trap check.

What?!!! Liver is good! The flavor is reminiscent for me by reminding me of my youth sitting at my uncles kitchen table.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Nice fox. I like liver but I like unclogged arteries better. Any kind of organ meat has a lot of cholesterol, which in my book makes it perfect for bait.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Any grays in your area Outdoorsman? I saw my first fisher tracks in 3 years the other day. The bobcat are still around. I’ve seen more snowshoe tracks this winter this year than I’ve seen since the 1970s.

Would one of the 22 caliber air rifles dispatch a fox or coyote with a head shot? They seem like they’d be the perfect tool for trapping with no bang.