2019 Moose Lottery Application is Open!

NH Hunter

Reaction score

I also don't think that IF&W should be a small business counselor. They are there to manage wildlife/fisheries not be a members association. Offer a good product and let the rest fall where it may.
Well said. Should be the practice of all Govt. agencies...... state and federal

JDK

Reaction score
Why not allocate permits specifically for:

tagging stations- they don’t get paid enough per tag
meat cutters
taxidermists
hotels/motels/campgrounds

groundtender

Reaction score
Here you go JDK: Public Hearing on February 27 for LD 728, “An Act to Fairly Compensate Registration Stations for Bear, Deer, Moose, and Turkey Registrations”. You must be clairvoyant!

JDK

Reaction score
I haven't hunted Maine in 8 or 9 years , the tagging station fee was a dollar. Has it increased ?
$5 for a deer, bear, or moose. $2 of which is retained the agent.

$2 for a turkey

Flatlander

Reaction score
I always thought the agent should keep the fee. I don't remember paying a fee to register my moose at the warden head quarters in Greenville. That was in 93 or 94 , there were only 6 zones at the time.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
That might have been true 26 years ago.

I hate fee increases but I have no idea why any store would want to tag deer or bear. Half the time it is some high school girl who really doesn’t even want to see a carcass. I was told by 2 different shops that they had to buy a dedicated laptop also. Don’t know if it is true or not but if it is, it is a piece of equipment that is not generating any revenue for 9 months. Took about 15 minutes to tag my deer last Fall. $8 an hour. Or if you look at it another way, tagging deer in Washburn generates that store $90 in 2.5 months.

i don’t care how you cut it but tagging an animal and buying a bottle of moxie and bag of hot fries isn’t keeping their doors open

Last edited:

Flatlander

Reaction score
I know this wouldn't be popular , if the fee for a license was increased by $1.00 to pay the tagging agents it would work out to approx. $4.00 per tag.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
i don’t care how you cut it but tagging an animal and buying a bottle of moxie and bag of hot fries isn’t keeping their doors open
Isn't that exactly what keeps the doors open? I didn't know there was tagging station fee in ME, I guess that shows how long its been since I hunted up there. In vermont a lot of our local check in stations do whatever they can to be the "popular" check in station to get more people bringing game to their store to get more people in the doors. Started with game pools, then taking pictures of checked game, then posting on facebook. I would think if I ran a convenience store, that mainly sold small groceries and had a deli I'd do w/e is possible to get as many hunters in the door as possible. 100 hot fries is better then 15 isn't it?

Are the tag station fees enforced by the state? Or do the individual stores name their price?

JDK

Reaction score
I know this wouldn't be popular , if the fee for a license was increased by $1.00 to pay the tagging agents it would work out to approx. $4.00 per tag.
I don't know what the solution is...or if there is even a problem. That said, if IF&W is going to assist one sector of the hunting industry with moose tags (that they then sell for $$$tens of thousands) then what are they going to do with the other sectors that support the industry and are making peanuts?

I should say "assist in ways that doesn't screw the average guy."

Last edited:

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Isn't that exactly what keeps the doors open? I didn't know there was tagging station fee in ME, I guess that shows how long its been since I hunted up there. In vermont a lot of our local check in stations do whatever they can to be the "popular" check in station to get more people bringing game to their store to get more people in the doors. Started with game pools, then taking pictures of checked game, then posting on facebook. I would think if I ran a convenience store, that mainly sold small groceries and had a deli I'd do w/e is possible to get as many hunters in the door as possible. 100 hot fries is better then 15 isn't it?

Are the tag station fees enforced by the state? Or do the individual stores name their price?
I see your point.
How many stations in FC? Spoke with the local guy here and so many have closed he’s got people coming from as far as Bristol to check deer in. I believe we have the same issue. I can tell yah this Mel doesn’t know what in the hell the Facebook is. When I go to S Vt it’s the same issue as well. Just my observation.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Does anyone know when they post the harvest results from 2018?
I'd like to use as part of my selection criteria for picking zones?
Also interested in the true deer kill results.

BTW They still have not responded to my email.

groundtender

Reaction score

. They won’t respond. The number of tags available (as shown for 2019) in a zone are a pretty good reflection of success rate . I always figure apply for Zs 1-9 in whatever order you prefer. Don’t bother with any of the others unless you have first hand knowledge of good bulls in one of them. Good luck

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score

Call them. I called once to ask questions and the lady was very nice.

MGK

Reaction score
A few things I’m thinking of, not 1 guide in this state completely rely’s on those two weeks to make a years living. Sporting camps offer bear, deer, grouse, summer fishing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, lodging, etc. All of the smaller guide services I know of work a normal day job and guide on the side. I’m not saying the moose hunt doesn’t bring in a good chunk of money for them.

The guides that are worth a damn don’t have a problem finding clients and I’m sure they are the ones who bought up most of the permits (can’t confirm that, just if I had bet)

Sounds like the going rate is 20-30k for those tags.. someone who pays that much for a Maine moose tag ought to be checked out. You can go to a little state called Alaska for a lot cheaper. Hell, for less money have Jim Shockey put you on a moose or better yet.. his daughter.

If I was a betting man I’d say that within 10-15 years you will be able to tag a deer in Maine via phone or computer and bypass the tagging station all together. Money would be the issue, Maine will still want their $3.. hell we still have to pay the agent fee when you get your license online and you’re the agent!

MGK

Reaction score
Other thing is what happens when the hunter that got drawn for a tag and hires that guide rolls into camp and finds out the ole boy staying next to him paid 29k for the same hunt. Who do you think is getting the better spot Monday morning