2019 Moose Lottery Application is Open!

groundtender

Reaction score
I guess I'm not following

Have you looked at the prices of non-resident licences out west?
Good point. Apply for a tag in a western state and in every case you have to purchase the NR hunting license before applying! Some states will refund money for license if you aren’t drawn. If you are drawn, the price of the NR permit you drew is very high and in addition to your NR license. When I stopped applying for Wyoming moose 10 years ago, the NR moose tag was $1,500.00. Bighorn Sheep was $2,000.00. Both probably more now, and bonus points went from $7.00 to $$100.00 if that’s all you wanted. Some of those states require NR to hire an outfitter with guides. Be interesting to see how Maine’s new program affects the Moose tag Auction bidding. But I believe that to the extent that it does requires some of the $$ from lodge tags has to make up for any shortfall. Moose Tag Auction funds go to pay full scholarships for kids to attend week long outdoor fish and wildlife sports at camp in Bryant Pond....a good thing

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
The details on this are sort of a mystery. The DIFW says 2% of permits will go to lodges at 1500. The language of the legislatures bill indicates 10% of the permits allocated over 3,140, so I guess it will vary year to year on the %of total permits.

Claims first $107k goes to fund youth conservation education programs, remainder goes to Moose research and management fund.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Gotta love the "outfitters". Privileged moose permits, leasing paper land?...... but hey, we should all care about them as much as they do about us. Oh wait.....that wouldn't work out well for them if we lived by that. We dealt with something similar with our guided bear hunt permits in NH. I stopped guiding for these reasons. Seems pretty hypocritical taking the revenue ahead of the resource and ALL those who support our heritage.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Looks like law states that all funds from the regular auction go to youth conservation fund.

They also allocate a seperate 2 permits to non profit orgs dedicated to providing outdoor adventures to kids under 21 with terminal or critical illnesses.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Gotta love the "outfitters". Privileged moose permits, leasing paper land?...... but hey, we should all care about them as much as they do about us. Oh wait.....that wouldn't work out well for them if we lived by that. We dealt with something similar with our guided bear hunt permits in NH. I stopped guiding for these reasons. Seems pretty hypocritical taking the revenue ahead of the resource and ALL those who support our heritage.

I guess im on the other side of this. It doesn’t bother me too much anymore. It’s not like these guys are making it rich renting out fallen apart Camps with soggy mattresses for 40 bucks a night. The state is throwing them a bone. They get a week of rent, serving meals, a week of guiding, etc. Something like that will make or break the majority of these places. The state gets 1500 each and it goes to the states youth. I’m not going to lose sleep over it one way or the other, but it could certainly be worse.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I guess im on the other side of this. It doesn’t bother me too much anymore. It’s not like these guys are making it rich renting out fallen apart Camps with soggy mattresses for 40 bucks a night. The state is throwing them a bone. They get a week of rent, serving meals, a week of guiding, etc. Something like that will make or break the majority of these places. The state gets 1500 each and it goes to the states youth. I’m not going to lose sleep over it one way or the other, but it could certainly be worse.
As I said a few months ago, I truly don't care about any of it anymore either, but I still think it's morally wrong. They choose to be a guide. The good ones will stay in business, the bad ones don't. They might not be getting rich, but they are still choosing to attempt making a living on the resource. I'm good with that.....right up until the point they start removing the accessibility to the resource from us the hunter, regardless of state.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
They also allocate a seperate 2 permits to non profit orgs dedicated to providing outdoor adventures to kids under 21 with terminal or critical illnesses.
NH does this as well, and I think that is excellent. Totally on board with that.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
How about you have to buy a hunting license to apply for the moose lottery and you don't get the license money back? That ensures that you are a hunter applying for the permit. Then when you win a permit you can auction it off just like the lodges do.

What would you do? Auction the permit off for $20,000, or go moose hunting?;)

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
How about you have to buy a hunting license to apply for the moose lottery and you don't get the license money back? That ensures that you are a hunter applying for the permit. Then when you win a permit you can auction it off just like the lodges do.

What would you do? Auction the permit off for $20,000, or go moose hunting?;)
Don't you need to have a hunting license regardless if you're drawn for a permit? If you put in for a permit, and it comes time that the state finds out you don't have a license that permit then goes to an alternate right?

Me? I'd go moose hunting. I'm sure there are laws on the bucks about auctioning off a permit if you're not a licensed guide, although I'm sure it's happened. There was a fella that tried that in NH ( one of my distance cousins) during the early phases of the moose permits here in NH.

groundtender

Reaction score
LB - I’d take the 20 grand without even thinking about it. If I still wanted to go moose hunting, which I wouldn’t, I’d buy one of the tag/hunt packages from a sporting camp in New Brunswick, and pocket the balance for other hunts. NH Hunter - When you actually draw a Maine tag you must then get a Maine Big Game License, or prove that you have one before F&W will sell you the tag you drew. For what it’s worth, when you pay the Dept for the moose tag, you can change your sub-p to anyone. You are not required to have the sub-p that you named when you entered the drawing. Of course it’s against the law to sell the sub-p position on your tag, but it seems that there’s no need of being a menses candidate to circumvent that law.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't you need to have a hunting license regardless if you're drawn for a permit? If you put in for a permit, and it comes time that the state finds out you don't have a license that permit then goes to an alternate right?
Yes, I think that is how it works. You can't sell or transfer a permit to anyone.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, when you pay the Dept for the moose tag, you can change your sub-p to anyone. You are not required to have the sub-p that you named when you entered the drawing. Of course it’s against the law to sell the sub-p position on your tag, but it seems that there’s no need of being a menses candidate to circumvent that law.
I didn't know you could do that. Then you could sell it to anyone, illegally of course.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Got this wrapped up. 4 and 8 for myself and sub who we have been on 3 hunts together, 2 moose.

8 only for wife, with me as Sub.

8 only for oldest daughter with me as Sub.

I could care care if I shoot another one of these filthy critters, but would love to see one of my girls get one.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I entered the lottery ,$15 for 1 chance. I have 90 pts. I can't see many people paying over 7 or 8 k. for the lodge hunts. Over that and you could go to Alaska or Canada.

JDK

Reaction score
IMHO, 1 person, 1 chance with extra chances to those that are unsuccessful. No buying extra chances, no special tags. You pays your dime, you takes your chance.

Truthfully I don't give a rat's hind end about using IF$W's money to send kids to camp, study butterflies, or whatever. There are enough places that I can donate to those causes.

I also don't think that IF&W should be a small business counselor. They are there to manage wildlife/fisheries not be a members association. Offer a good product and let the rest fall where it may.

Last edited:

medrhunter

Reaction score
I wrote to the MIFW
I asked which pool the Lodge permits were taken from.
I also asked if the winning lodge had to guide the permittee out of their establishment or could they sell their permit at will.
Had a good chat with one of the more reputable Maine outfitters at the Harrisburg show.
He wasn't in favor of how this was being run, but he did book his Moose hunter for 15K.
He said that some outfitters were buying permits from other outfitters and were trying to sell for a windfall.
I'm guessing the price of these lodge permits will go way up after the drawing.
No response from MIFW yet.