2019 Moose Lottery Application is Open!

JDK

Reaction score
Done

Sad part, I didn't even apply for the zone I live in.

medrhunter

Reaction score
Apparently the state decided to auction off 50 permits to "Full Service" Guide Operations in Maine.
I heard the 50 permits came out of the Non-Resident allotment, but I can't confirm that.
Does anyone know????

I was at the Harrisburg show yesterday.
There were 2 Maine outfitters there who had received permits.
One was auctioning it off to the highest bidder.
The other was selling for $29K.
WTF!

Happy to see legitimate full time guide operations get guaranteed permits, but they shouldn't be able to sell them at a profit.
Perhaps raffle them off to their clients.
Before you know it Moose hunts will be high fence and pay by the Trophy class.

Thoughts?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
This year for sure.
I can feel it!

:buck:

https://apps1.web.maine.gov/online/moose/
Someone from another site that is good with math posted this.

Threw the 2012 numbers provided into Excel, and the magic number is approximately $3,200.

Meaning, if you spend that much money for bonus points, it would be virtually mathematically impossible to not pull an out-of-state moose permit. That's a lot of money, but when you think how much some of those western elk etc... hunts cost, it's probably not crazy. If you're a gambler, you could spend 1/2 that, about $1,600 and take your odds down to a coin flip.

Reaction score
These prices are insane! By allowing outfitters to sell Moose permits at a profit may only lead to discouraging non-residents to bring their hunting business to Maine. this seems to be a case of greed pure and simple. We got drawn in 1985 and the moose tag was $225 plus $200 for 2 big game licences. We then did a DIY hunt. I shot a B&C moose, drove it home then went back about 2 weeks later and dad shot an 8 pt buck. Hunting in Maine was a bargain back then.

JDK

Reaction score
These prices are insane! By allowing outfitters to sell Moose permits at a profit may only lead to discouraging non-residents to bring their hunting business to Maine. this seems to be a case of greed pure and simple. We got drawn in 1985 and the moose tag was $225 plus $200 for 2 big game licences. We then did a DIY hunt. I shot a B&C moose, drove it home then went back about 2 weeks later and dad shot an 8 pt buck. Hunting in Maine was a bargain back then.
I guess I'm not following you completely.

You can apply 10 times for $55.

If drawn a permit is $585ish. Inflation puts your 1985 tag at $513 for a permit and a non-resident hunting licence isn't $200.

You don't need an outfitter but I would agree that I don't like the hunting lodge lottery. Almost seems like they are double dipping. Moose permits in Maine have historically been siphoned off for "causes." Not right in my opinion.

Have you looked at the prices of non-resident licences out west?

Last edited:

BearHunter

Reaction score
The median household income in 1985 was $23,620.
2017 median household income $61,372.
That’s 2.59 times higher in 2017.
A 1985 $225 moose tag times 2.59 would be $582 in 2017.
Everything is more expensive now.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess I'm not following you completely.

You can apply 10 times for $55.

If drawn a permit is $585ish. Inflation puts your 1985 tag at $513 for a permit and a non-resident hunting licence isn't $200.

You don't need an outfitter but I would agree that I don't like the hunting lodge lottery. Almost seems like they are double dipping. Moose permits in Maine have historically been siphoned off for "causes." Not right in my opinion.

Have you looked at the prices of non-resident licences out west?
I think he’s talking about the permits that are bought by the guides and then the guides are offering hunts for $12,000 plus, Or whatever they decide to charge.Instead of just offering those permits to Hunter’s and then letting them get a guide, or not.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Seems to be some confusion on this one.
As I understand it, this year they will offering 2% of the total of all permits to sporting camps in a lottery which was designed as a stimulus for them. Look around, these places are struggling, closing at record rates, and basically all for sale. We are talking about 50-100 permits depending on the year. If numbers are low, they will cancel it. It was implace a bunch of years back and passed I thought but the terminated it because permit numbers were too low.

There was a proposal to take 20% of the non res permits for the lodges, but that it did not pass.

We always auction of 10 permits for around 10k each year. Mdifw gets that money. My feeling is that the money should go right back to moose. Full time bio salary. Research studies, etc.

Same with the 1500 for each lodge permit. $1500x80 permits is 120k.

JDK

Reaction score
So the sporting camps pay $1500 for each permit they win?
That is a good question. I'm not that computer savvy but I can't seem to find that much information on these tags. Probably there but I can't find it.

And I'm understanding catskill's point. Used to be 10% of the tags went to non-residents. Now it is 8% with 2% going to lodges. Like I said, siphoning for a "cause".

Last edited: