2019 Maine Buck

MGK

Reaction score
It ended early for me this year. I've been seeing a lot of rutting activity lately. The bucks in Central Maine have been fired up chasing does. The does are not receptive in the slightest but I think it's one of their most vulnerable phases. I've passed a few smaller bucks over the last few days and with that front pushing through yesterday (11/5) I had a good feeling the deer would be on their feet. Right after first light, I had a doe and 6pt come through at a million miles per hour. She was zigging and zagging and he was right on her tail. Pretty incredible to watch. About 15 minutes later I hear another deer coming through the timber. Big doe. She was acting weird, kept looking back and I figured she may have a tag along. Sure enough about 10 minutes after she went out of sight I see rack coming through some alders. I instantly recognized the deer since I've had him all over my cameras the last 2 months. He wasn't startled so I took the opportunity to watch him for a minute. He was most certainly after that doe as he followed her trail to the step. Once he got about 30 yards away I decided it was time. I hit him hard and he started bull dozing through the woods. He went about 40 yards and was still going hard so I put another one in him and that was that. He's a 1st day of any season buck for me and I couldn't be more happy. I enlisted the help of a buddy and we dragged him the .92 miles back to the road. I couldn't be more thrilled on how my season played out. Now I'm debating if I should hunt NH next week or hang close to home and try and fill my expanded tag. 12pt 181lbs

12pt1.jpg

12pt2.jpg

Gwlambo

Reaction score
That is a great buck. Congratulations. That must have been a good pull to get him out, and I be the smile never left your face. Congrats and enjoy the rest of the season.

Reactions: MGK

Snowed

Reaction score
Awesome buck! I’d head to NH and bring your lucky streak with ya!

Reactions: MGK