2019 Archery buck

shirefisher

Reaction score
I woke up pretty excited for the cold crisp morning. We have had a ton of apples on my property, enough for me to get a press and we have made gallons of cider. So I figured I better slow walk through the orchard just to see if i can scare a deer up first thing. No luck with that so I slowly made my way to the beechnuts and the well used runs and sat in my stand and watched the squirrels feast and play in the perfect sunrise. Then after a couple of hours I couldn't help myself. I had to still hunt the deer run. I made it about 50 yards in 15 minutes when I saw a bunched up/bedded buck @ 28 or so yards. I had no shot... I crawled a few yards for the shot just out of his view with a tree and the wind on my side... He jumped and ran then snorted 3x just out of view. I was then stuck for another 30 minutes as a spike horn came down and bedded right down in that nice warm bed. I waited him out without moving-watching him chew for the whole time hoping he wouldn't spook and make my deer run. After as long as I could stand it 40+ minutes or so- I tried to back out. I made it pretty far and thought I was out of his view then bam he saw me and ran so what the hell I figured I go see the damage... I walked 25 yards before I saw good blood, looked down the trail and there he was 144lbs, 6 point. I shot him in my woods I cleaned up for birch syrup this coming Sugar year. He's already in the freezer.DSCN1275.jpg

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice. The woods and your property look beautiful. Great you got him right on your property. Congratulations. What are you shooting and where did you hit him?

Grandkid

Reaction score
Good job to shoot him on the ground. Congratulations.

Roger-

shirefisher

Reaction score
I've been dying for people to ask what and where with the shot. I'm shooting an excalibur micro crossbow. So ground hunting is much more of a possibility. He was balled up when bedded and strangely had his hind quarter covering his front chest. I had faith in the ballistics of the bolt and broadband set up. So it entered squarely through. the hind quarter- entered the chest took out one lung, liver and deflected up and stayed in the deer, the trauma inside was vicious. So one side looks just fine for pics...

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been dying for people to ask what and where with the shot. I'm shooting an excalibur micro crossbow. So ground hunting is much more of a possibility. He was balled up when bedded and strangely had his hind quarter covering his front chest. I had faith in the ballistics of the bolt and broadband set up. So it entered squarely through. the hind quarter- entered the chest took out one lung, liver and deflected up and stayed in the deer, the trauma inside was vicious. So one side looks just fine for pics...
Are you using the Excalibur Bolt Cutter broadheads?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, sir! They don't always bleed a lot but if done right- they don't travel far...
I was asking because those things will blow thru about anything. If you want penetration they are the ticket. Fly just like the field points also. Shot a few deer with them. Have switched to the 150 grain 3" cut Swhackers, when I use the Xbow. You may have seen a picture of the bow in my "Buck Down" thread.

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Congrats - on the great buck. Nice photo and post!