2018 Trap Line

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Scadoodled out of Boston this morning and came home to work some on the F350. I purchased a rubber wheel to remove the stickers off the fenders and doors. The round rubber disc has an arbor which is inserted in a drill which then allows the stickers to be peeled off. I took about 45 minutes to remove the stickers.

4C324E0A-A54F-42F2-86D6-1C202515BC98.jpeg

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Nice truck LB!

USPS delivered a bearing around 2:30 this afternoon that I was waiting on to be able to assemble the transmission. I was surprised to see USPS on a Sunday and equally surprised the bearing was the package. I jumped on the opportunity to begin buttoning up the housing. The very tight tolerances made for a very snug and challenging fit.

Tomorrow evening I can fill the transmission and hopefully see how the engine runs.

A524800B-7250-46C5-95AB-959009502AC3.jpeg

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Was able to start the truck this evening and it runs perfect. Downfall is the output shaft is bent. Requires an entire transmission tear down to replace the shaft.

Time to price out a rebuild versus a used transmission. Looks like this project is going on hold for awhile.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Sitting on my porch enjoying the dry gentle breeze I missed for 12 weeks and can’t wait for hunting to begin. The smell of dry hardwood burning perfectly in my furnace may be helping with hunting thoughts.

Big plans on getting into the central part of NH to still hunt for bear in late September and October. After hearing of bear bacon I’d like to take a bear and have some made. Simply need to find a bear.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Sitting on my porch enjoying the dry gentle breeze I missed for 12 weeks and can’t wait for hunting to begin. The smell of dry hardwood burning perfectly in my furnace may be helping with hunting thoughts.

Big plans on getting into the central part of NH to still hunt for bear in late September and October. After hearing of bear bacon I’d like to take a bear and have some made. Simply need to find a bear.

Will we be crossing paths where you guys released that bear from Manchester? 10/4 on the breeze too!!! This week was a bitch with the heat!!!

mowbizz

Reaction score

Bear bacon... sounds good. I'll be sitting in my ground blind Saturday morning in Central NH waiting for a random bear appearance...there are a few that I have on cam mere feet from my blind. Going to have a rifle and a crossbow with me.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Two squirrels today and had a branch take the hit on a third. Last week had zero squirrels around the house then suddenly these started barking and shaking leaves. Read on NH bear hunting FB some have had success bear hunting Congrats to the successful hunters. They put their work in and did exceptionally well.

9A53D594-AE2F-4913-8739-46F4A8457E45.jpeg

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Odd work day today in that I started at 5 AM which put me out around 1 PM. I came home and cut some filthy wood until my chain was too dull to be efficient.

After that I spun five loops of 72 drive link 3/8 chain from my bulk roll. I was surprised to see I’m more than half way through the roll.

View attachment 20929

6D50E627-8BD0-409D-9687-964DBFF86276.jpeg

4FC97BA3-1F22-40CF-83A9-DCE7EA16847B.jpeg

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I trapped two beavers last night. One was caught in a MB750 foothold and the other in a belisle 330. Based on sign I suspect these are the only two in the immediate area. I sure hope so.

C01587A8-34CB-46A8-BAF4-08B12B613AD6.jpeg

Came home from the woods to remove and replace an axle which had a bent flange. It was about .030” of run out which translated to over a 1/4” of wobble at the tires edge.

View attachment 20958

Pressing wheel studs:
4CDB3AC8-0BF1-440D-89DC-40ACA9E01252.jpeg

88F0C9C5-A298-48F5-BF4D-DC90C243C920.jpeg

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Couple of nice 'plump' beavers there. Great pics as always.
They sure were heavy. They made good ballast on my short canoe trip.

I was able to get out and sit for bear this evening. I stopped at the grocery store on my ride over and picked up anise extract, vanilla extract, and molasses. Smells pretty good mixed like that.

No bear!

View attachment 20970

outdoorsman

Reaction score
No beavers in my traps this morning, none of the poplar bait was disturbed, and one beaver dam I lowered remained untouched. I worked myself out of a job in one night and very happy I did so.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That beaver swamp looks very familiar. Thanks for taking the water level down off the road if it's the spot I think it is.

mowbizz

Reaction score
They sure were heavy. They made good ballast on my short canoe trip.

I was able to get out and sit for bear this evening. I stopped at the grocery store on my ride over and picked up anise extract, vanilla extract, and molasses. Smells pretty good mixed like that.

No bear!

View attachment 20970
So I was wondering...you used some “scents” while sitting and waiting for a bear to be attracted. Is that considered baiting or what? I always thought that a “bait” was something the bear could ingest or eat...if you had a rag hanging from a tree branch with your store bought liquids smeared on it is this considered a bait site? Just curious.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
So I was wondering...you used some “scents” while sitting and waiting for a bear to be attracted. Is that considered baiting or what? I always thought that a “bait” was something the bear could ingest or eat...if you had a rag hanging from a tree branch with your store bought liquids smeared on it is this considered a bait site? Just curious.
Nope. Not until it's ingested as you said, so a hunter wouldn't want to leave the rag. It's the same idea as a scent bomb covered in doe urine while deer hunting.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Nope. Not until it's ingested as you said, so a hunter wouldn't want to leave the rag. It's the same idea as a scent bomb covered in doe urine while deer hunting.
Thanks! I have these “smoke sticks” that claim “13 miles of dead fish” lol
I guess it’s okay to use these then! (Without a bait site permit)