2018 Moose Shed Hunt

Browseline

Reaction score
Thanks for posting Rusty! I really enjoyed these video's. I'm really looking forward to shed hunting this spring as I'm sure you are too.

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice . Thanks for posting. What do you do with the antlers? If you sell them what is the going rate per pound?
I know you were asking Rusty, but I sold around 350 lbs last fall. I got $12 a lb for craft grade which are good color, not too big and not chewed. $10 a lb for A grade which can have slight chew marks and good color, any size. $5 a lb for B grade which are mostly junk but have a few good tines and base. $2 for chalk moose antlers. These are bleached out and all chewed up, the kind I used to leave in the woods. Had I know that a 12 lb antler that was all chewed to pieces and bleached out, cracked tines was worth about $25, I would have brought them out of the woods years ago. I probably left about $500 worth of them at todays prices in the woods over the last 35 years. Some of the dealers I talked to only wanted the good ones. The guy I sold to took every grade. I kept 20 or so of my best ones including 6 matched pairs. I regret that I sold probably 300 lbs of craft and grade A antlers 20 years ago for $3 a lb.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I know you were asking Rusty, but I sold around 350 lbs last fall. I got $12 a lb for craft grade which are good color, not too big and not chewed. $10 a lb for A grade which can have slight chew marks and good color, any size. $5 a lb for B grade which are mostly junk but have a few good tines and base. $2 for chalk moose antlers. These are bleached out and all chewed up, the kind I used to leave in the woods. Had I know that a 12 lb antler that was all chewed to pieces and bleached out, cracked tines was worth about $25, I would have brought them out of the woods years ago. I probably left about $500 worth of them at todays prices in the woods over the last 35 years. Some of the dealers I talked to only wanted the good ones. The guy I sold to took every grade. I kept 20 or so of my best ones including 6 matched pairs. I regret that I sold probably 300 lbs of craft and grade A antlers 20 years ago for $3 a lb.
That's some nice money. I may have to make a spring scouting trip after the snow melts and look for some.

Browseline

Reaction score
That's some nice money. I may have to make a spring scouting trip after the snow melts and look for some.
I got $192 for my best antler. A few years ago I wouldn't be talking about all this, but there are few places now that don't get hit pretty hard by shed hunters, guys in their 20's and 30's that can really cover some ground. There are also a lot fewer moose in Western Maine , Northern NH and VT. I'm getting too old to get to a lot of the places I used to go. My days of hiking in 5 or 6 miles to where I wanted to look and back out with 50 lbs of antlers are over.

rustyg

Reaction score
When you condense a week long trip down to 20 minutes of video, it looks like sheds are around every tree, but this was two people doing 10 hour days walking 8-10 miles a day.
I do it for the fun. I could make more money working the same amount of time at McDonalds. Once my pile gets too big for the basement, I will sell them. Browseline is spot on on the price. I am hoping to get out more this year and do a better job on the videos. Plus have a few more trips recorded.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
When you condense a week long trip down to 20 minutes of video, it looks like sheds are around every tree, but this was two people doing 10 hour days walking 8-10 miles a day.
I do it for the fun. I could make more money working the same amount of time at McDonalds. Once my pile gets too big for the basement, I will sell them. Browseline is spot on on the price. I am hoping to get out more this year and do a better job on the videos. Plus have a few more trips recorded.
Sorry too late ,I got five truckloads of friends all headed up to make some big money! Where are your best spots?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’ve been getting a few lately but spending too much time and miles. Bulls were still sparing two weeks ago and I got some, but nothing the last two weeks even in good areas. There is too much competition up here now. I know a few guys that would get 50-60 a winter, now maybe 15-20 for 5k miles of looking. It’s fun none the less. BEADCF38-6BE4-47B4-9B20-44567CDE8EF7.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
I’ve been getting a few lately but spending too much time and miles. Bulls were still sparing two weeks ago and I got some, but nothing the last two weeks even in good areas. There is too much competition up here now. I know a few guys that would get 50-60 a winter, now maybe 15-20 for 5k miles of looking. It’s fun none the less. View attachment 21679
A buddy found 10 sheds the week after muzzleloader season. I found one going into a lake icefishing a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised by the amount of moose sign we saw and wanted to go back. However the foot of new snow last week and the predicted dump this weekend may make it tough. Closer to Caribou, you can't go anywhere someone else hasn't already been.

Border Hunter

Reaction score
Enjoyed watching the videos. I spend a week or so in north-western Maine hunting sheds each spring and really enjoy it. Find a few sheds and loose a few pounds.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
For the spring shed hunters, what are some tips or things you look for?

For me I don’t spend a lot of time at it, but look for where I saw the bulls in the winter.

Are you guys hitting random blocks of woods and looking for rubs and good areas that you think they winteted, or going back to known yarding spots from prior years?

The competition is fierce here. Guys place salt licks to keep them off the roads so guys like me on sleds don’t find them!

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
What's the value in them? What do the buyers do with them?

All sorts of stuff from lamps, to hanging lights, dog chews, cribbage boards, backdrops for fish mounts, Xmas ornaments, carvings, sets fetch big money to put on capes for head mounts, then sold to say a restaurant, etc.

i know a guy in town that has a shipping container full. On two occasions he sold around $20k worth.

rustyg

Reaction score
Picking spots to look depends on where we go. Parts of Vt. and Nh. you have to get up in elevation. Find a good mix of balsams. Maine is a little more rolling hills and lots of cover.
It always helps if you see bulls during deer season. They usually don't stray too far from those locations.
While driving the log roads, we'll look for droppings in the road, tracks, and if we see any rubs.
Some spots you can just tell they have been eating the small vegetation.

Like you said Kingman, it's very competitive. We can't compete with the snow machines. They are out all winter right when the antlers drop. Which is probably why we find a lot of white ones. I'm not in it for the money. I enjoy the walks and getting out in the woods. It's pretty cool when you stumble on one after walking for hours or miles. We just look for places where the machines can't go, and hope the snow came fast enough to bury them in the winter.
I'm can't wait for that first melt......

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’m guessing this snow is going to cover everything now except the late droppers. It’s dumping up here. Rode around just south of the end of the golden road yesterday afternoon. Moose were active, saw a bunch, no antlers.