2017 Trap Line

outdoorsman

Reaction score
It's going to be a few weeks before I can get back in the marshes given the warm days this week. Ice will not stiffen back up for safe trapping. I now need to wait for open water and trap out of a canoe. As soon as ice opens up beaver begin moving everywhere.

Downfall is fur quality lacks due to fighting (bite marks) then spring molt. Luckily I've been managing my swamps a few years so fighting shouldn't be too bad.

The bumper for the Silverado came in today. I was able to get the truck back together in less than an hour, beating the setting sun.

Less rust more chrome:

View attachment 18039

Decided to put new tires on the truck while I had the chance. Thankfully income taxes will be deposited during the coming weeks.

Load E tires aren't cheap:

IMG_0892.JPG

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
It's a direct registering track which means the hind foot is stepping exactly on the front foot track. Because of this there is some added details that make identification a PIA.

I think it's a coyote movin on out at a decent pace along the road/path edge. I will say, identifying that track is debatable.

General toe marks would lead a quick glance to say alligator or porcupine. Porcupine waddles and no one walks a pet alligator (that large anyway) and alligators waddle as well.

Escout711

Reaction score
It's a direct registering track which means the hind foot is stepping exactly on the front foot track. Because of this there is some added details that make identification a PIA.

I think it's a coyote movin on out at a decent pace along the road/path edge. I will say, identifying that track is debatable.

General toe marks would lead a quick glance to say alligator or porcupine. Porcupine waddles and no one walks a pet alligator (that large anyway) and alligators waddle as well.
It's interesting, this trail went for 100 yards, all the tracks looking the same. There is some swamp nearby, but really and running water.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
It's definitely odd shaped. I notice that it's stride is roughly the same as your dog. I haven't seen that stride on short legged animals nor such a straight travel line.

longbow

Reaction score
That one track looks like a beaver track. But, putting it all together, along with the the track being along the edge of the road and the stride length, I agree, probably a coyote like Outdoorsman said.

Wandling

Reaction score
Turkey with an extra toe. Rare bird. I had a weird track around my parents house one time. It was long and six toes. Come to find out it was my mom walking barefoot with a huge bunion. We always tried to get her to paint it with nail polish and wear sandals.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I'd put my money on coyote.
I saw a track like this once, and it was also on a long flat section of a gravel road. I put about 5 minutes of thought into it, just assuming it was a coyote in that comfortable gait they have - but in the woods or fields, they change direction all the time, where on that road, it felt comfortable enough to just hold the line and pace.

I don't claim to have any expertise of anyone else on here, just wanted to pass along my agreement with the coyote choice.