2017 Trap Line

rpc55

Reaction score
very cool, do you target fox and coyote as well?

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I don't target fox or coyote because of the area of NH I live in (densely populated and roaming dogs) and the low catch rate. Checking empty traps gets old quick. With canine species larger home ranges than a beaver there is a number of empty trap nights before a hit.

I stick with water trapping and fisher. Beaver, Otter, and Muskrat are my targets in water as I've found plenty of areas I can avoid people and do my thing.

I set a beautiful channel this morning for otter. The body gripper pic was from the set. Had to make a temporary bush fix with twisted trap wire. Tomorrow I'll pack in two more 330s and double up on the run.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
One legit- about 18" pickerel. One wind flag. Fished 4 hours on Massabesic. It was my first time ever on that lake and I have some learning to do.

Was hoping to get a rainbow or brown trout.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
One legit- about 18" pickerel. One wind flag. Fished 4 hours on Massabesic. It was my first time ever on that lake and I have some learning to do.

Was hoping to get a rainbow or brown trout.
That's a good size puddle. Tough to pin them down I would think.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Sure is. And based on depth maps it's relatively flat bottomed with gradual depth changes. Few deep holes which probably make it better for summer fishing.

Looking into Manning Lake for a future trip. Or smack some lakers on Newfound.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I don't target fox or coyote because of the area of NH I live in (densely populated and roaming dogs) and the low catch rate. Checking empty traps gets old quick. With canine species larger home ranges than a beaver there is a number of empty trap nights before a hit.

I stick with water trapping and fisher. Beaver, Otter, and Muskrat are my targets in water as I've found plenty of areas I can avoid people and do my thing.

I set a beautiful channel this morning for otter. The body gripper pic was from the set. Had to make a temporary bush fix with twisted trap wire. Tomorrow I'll pack in two more 330s and double up on the run.
Why no mink?

outdoorsman

Reaction score
There's one place I trap where I'll target mink but other than that they're not a species I put time on.

I'm so busy with the other species that I haven't fine tuned my mink abilities.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Sure is. And based on depth maps it's relatively flat bottomed with gradual depth changes. Few deep holes which probably make it better for summer fishing.

Looking into Manning Lake for a future trip. Or smack some lakers on Newfound.

Never fished Manning. I haven't been to Newfound in years. Might have to put that on the "to do" list this year.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
There's one place I trap where I'll target mink but other than that they're not a species I put time on.

I'm so busy with the other species that I haven't fine tuned my mink abilities.
Like anything you can eliminate a lot of dead space and fine tune their travel routes for set locations.
What are mink running now for prices.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Thanks. I bought that two years ago. Needed carb work and nothing else. Runs awesome and I like that it is fan cooled. It's a 380, would have liked a 500 for the ability of putting a larger paddled track. Beggars can't be choosy and the 380 does get the job done. Hopefully we get more snow down here so I can fully put it to work.

JDK

Reaction score
Thanks. I bought that two years ago. Needed carb work and nothing else. Runs awesome and I like that it is fan cooled. It's a 380, would have liked a 500 for the ability of putting a larger paddled track. Beggars can't be choosy and the 380 does get the job done. Hopefully we get more snow down here so I can fully put it to work.
I had the 500 and my buddy the 380. Truth be told, the 380 ran circles around it in deep snow.

Last edited: