2017 Moose Season

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
That?s a really fantastic adventure, hell of a week of hunting! Thanks for taking the time to share a great story. Your boy Jase is getting a world class outdoor education, he?s a very lucky boy! I?m sure you guys covered this in a past report, but what?s the story on your camp? When did your dad build it?

Dad and Uncle Gary bought the orginal deer camp back in the early 80's. That turned into our family summer vacation spot and as the family grew so did the need for space. That's when Dad and Mom bought a 40 acre lot on one of the neighboring ponds. They bought it in the late 80s and built the first camp in 92. The compound now has a guest camp, a bunk house and just recently a "duplex" (just two big bedrooms)

We still deer hunt out of uncle gary's camp but all other vacation time is spent at mom and dad's.

Its a great spot to unplug and spend some time with family. We're awfully fortunate that mom and dad envisioned how special this place would be 30 years ago.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Great stuff - I love the stories and pics. Thanks for posting. I agree with others, you have a few too frame there.

Browseline

Reaction score
Thanks for the great pictures and stories. Nice bulls! Your help with the second bull sure must have taken a lot of pressure off the fellow hunting with his son.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
This is having a Bonus Round of The RusselBro Report.
Great successful hunts !
That Father and son will pass on this story for generations ! You guys are awesome for what you did for them.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I might be alone on this, but when I'm taking the kids out on something like this, the pressure I put on myself is intense. I try to talk myself out of it, but its just hard to do. You want the kids to have a great experience. What you did for that dad is something he'll never forget. Yeah, I'm sure it was awesome for the kid, but right now, somewhere, that dad is STILL talking to someone about what you contributed to his family.

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Great read and pics, RB!

I got one thing to add to the story on the first bull. As Josh and crew heading in calling at first light on opening day, I took Josh's boy for a walk in the opposite direction down the logging road in his stroller. About a half mile from the truck we found a old moose shed laying right on the road. I snapped a couple pics and then, as I was bending over to pick it up, the shots rang out! And then it was a bumpy scramble back to the meeting point to hear the dets of the hunt. First of many hunts I'll have with that rascal, I'm sure.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice addition RB2!

I'm wondering what his HC name will be- RussellSon, RussellBoy? Whatever it is, the stories will be first rate!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Great read and pics, RB!

I got one thing to add to the story on the first bull. As Josh and crew heading in calling at first light on opening day, I took Josh's boy for a walk in the opposite direction down the logging road in his stroller. About a half mile from the truck we found a old moose shed laying right on the road. I snapped a couple pics and then, as I was bending over to pick it up, the shots rang out! And then it was a bumpy scramble back to the meeting point to hear the dets of the hunt. First of many hunts I'll have with that rascal, I'm sure.

That young feller is in for one heck of a ride with the two RussellBros leading the way! Hope you all enjoy the journey and relish every step along the way.

amclimber

Reaction score
Man, how did I miss this one? A lot of great stuff here, thanks for posting. I like how in the video the dad's hands were still shaking when they were taking the photos with the downed bull. Also, your wife's confidence that you guys would get a bull is cool. It sure makes it easier to hunt, when your wife is behind you in it.