2015 Season update - Shawn's Hunting Log

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/5/15 We were gonna have a big crew of guys so we went to a huge piece of woods that we typically hunt in the snow. We bumped around some does all day but nobody saw a buck. THe does were always in front of the guys with no doe permits.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/11/15 4 of us decided to head out to some new areas on Friday. Our normal haunts just weren't producing. THe first spot was in Zone 8. We got in there and found quite a few tracks and I found some great funnel/pinch points, there was also a ton of moose sign in there. I saw 3 moose, a cow, a calf and a spike. We covered a lot of ground in there and got back to the trucks at 1:00ish. The second place was new to 3 of us and was back in Zone 5. One of the guys has a zone 5 tag so we were hoping to get a deer in front of him. I took a stand about 1/2 mile in down in a swamp between 2 hills. The place just looked right. 2 of the guys were hunting down towards us. One of the guys was 1/4 mile north of me up on one of the hills so I kept an eye in that direction. About 3:15 I heard a branch break and caught 3 deer walking down into the swamp about 100-120yds away. I cranked the scope up and was pretty sure they were all bald. They headed South towards the guy with the doe permit. I got on the radio and said I was going to find the tracks and try and push them by the guy with doe tag. As soon as I got over to where their tracks were, my buddy on top of the hill said he just saw another deer run off heading South. I figured I would stand right where I was hoping the deer would follow the other ones tracks down to me. A couple minutes later I heard a branch break up on the hill, then heard a grunt, then another branch break and a couple more grunts. I caught movement and saw the buck coming down the hill bird dogging the does tracks grunting the whole way. He stopped quartering to me with his head behind a tree sniffing the tracks. I put the scope on him, just waiting for a more open shot. Apparently the does were still right behind me because they started breaking branches and running off, when they did the buck snapped his head up. I wasn't sure what he was going to do and kinda rushed a shot off on him. He tore out of there. I went over and found blood right away. I started following the blood and there was a TON of it...200yds, 300yds, 350yds, where the hell is this thing...it's gotta be dead right up here. the 2 guys North of me were staying put but I expected to find the deer dead at any time. I got pretty close to one of the guys and the deer took off from in between us, neither of us got a shot...and then the blood STOPPED. It was getting dark and I was the only one with flashlights. We scoured for blood until dark but couldn't find any. I hate letting deer lay overnight but we had no other option so we backed out until morning.
12/12/15 THe next morning 3 guys went in from the North, 2 guys were south of us, and me and Junior walked in to where we had last blood. He and I work very well together on blood trails...both very patient and methodical. After 40 minutes we finally found a speck of blood, then a couple more, then a drop, then a clot, then a speck then a good pile of blood etc. We followed for another 1/4 mile to a beaver pond. THe deer skirted the edge and crossed a beaver dam. Junior went across first and found blood, then I crossed behind him. We went another 50yds and there he was dead and stiff as a board. He was definitley smaller than I thought he was the day before but I was still thrilled to find him after a hard fought blood trail. 6pt 115lbs. I either made a bad shot or hit a branch. The bullet destroyed one of his rear legs, wasn't too thrilled about that.

Last edited:

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/17/15 I took a walk at lunch yesterday afternoon into my spot near work. Lots of sign, tons of tracks. Decided to hunt it before work this morning. Beautiful morning for sitting, I was really confident that I would see a deer but I didn't see anything. Only able to sit until 8:30. Maybe I'll try it again next week.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/19/15
First day out with the ML, 5 of us Hunted a new spot that we hadn't been in before. I walked all morning on crunchy leaves looking for deer sign but there just wasn't much to be found. I met with one of my buddies and he hadn't seen much either. We decided it was time to get out of there and make a move. I was headed for the trruck at a good clip and came over a little knoll and there were jump marks everywhere, I followed them towards 2 of the other guys but lost them in the laurels. One of the other guys had 4 deer come into him but they were all bald. He said from the direction they came from it was unlikely that it was the same deer that I jumped. Moved to the spot where I shot the 6pt during shotgun for a few hours but nobody saw anything, good sign in there still though.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/24/15
Hunted in damn near 70 degree temps until noon. There were 5 of us. I was still hunting the edge of a swamp and saw a deer get up and bound off about 70yds out. The other 4 guys were all around it but nobody saw the deer. We hunted until noon and called it a day.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
12/26/15 Good chance it will be my last day to hunt for the year. We were into deer all day up on a big hill. We probably saw 10-12 different deer but only 1 shot was fired by my buddy after one of the other guys jumped the 6-8pt buck into him. 6 of us made a move across a big brook and did a long push but only 1 deer was seen there. Lots of sign in there though...will have to remember that for next year