2015 Live Kansas hunting thread

Browseline

Reaction score
What a great buck!!! Congratulations. No way could I hunt as hard as you did for that many days climbing up and down trees with the long sits, even when I was your age. You must be pretty well beat up. I really enjoyed your running account of what was happening along with all the great pictures. Thanks.

bbruno

Reaction score
I am tired that is for sure. The mental game is where you get tired. The get up and hunt even when the weather is warm.

I am not the best hunter for sure...but what I lack in skills I try to make up with persistence and patience. Remembering that it all comes down to 5 or 10 seconds.

It has been an awesome journey that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

totalyirish5

Reaction score
Awesome buck, congrats .

will we get the story of the shot and hat led up to it?

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Im sure glad that you waited until the end. Some great reading here. Great mass and he loos old. Did you age him? Looks like a bit of a roman nose.
Thanks Ben and congrats!!!

bbruno

Reaction score
I shot this buck in the funnel area. I have hunted this spot a bunch this year. I figured it out in 2012 that there was a break an old fence and with the lay of the land it creates a natural corridor. It is also a spot where a buck can travel on the downwind side of the doe bedding a catch a hot doe.

This is where I was hunting this morning. The cameras over the past couple days have showed big bucks have been in the area again. I was prepared for a warm drizzly sit without a lot of action.

Around 7:25 I texted a buddy..."I would be lucky to get a chance at a 2yr old today". I had no intention of shooting a 2yr old...but just felt like it was just slow.

Boy was I wrong. I had been standing up because it was so quiet all I had were my eyes. Wind wet leaves ...could not hear anything. 7:30 I turn to my right and here he comes. Waited till he was broadside at 10yds and stopped him.

Shot. Deer took off and my heart sank. I could see the arrow hanging out of him!! I could not believe I got no penetration.

I then watched starting to lose front legs and down he went at 60yds. My hit was perfect. The arrow hit offside shoulder and broke off and arrow piece came back out. Took out 1 lung and top of heart.

To say I was pumped was an understatement. He was one of the top 3 deer I wanted to kill on this farm.

Awesome hunt for sure...

bbruno

Reaction score
And today is clean up, pull stands, do laundry, cape deer and wash truck. We got 1" rain...what a mess. All the dirt roads are a mess. Corn fields are like driving in grease. It sticks to your boots sticks to everything. Takes a day or 2 to dry out and harden up again.

What a trip. Only thing would have made it better was Dallas scoring.

amclimber

Reaction score
...He was one of the top 3 deer I wanted to kill on this farm.
Wow. I would love to see the video/cam pics of the other two you were interested in.

Thanks for posting the pics and commentary during your trip. I really enjoyed following along. Way to be patient.

bbruno

Reaction score
There was another great buck I saw one time. He had a flyer on left beam. And we had another beauty 12pt 3yr old that would score in 140ish area.

Cannot wait for next year. 2012 was ehd year...property have improved dramatically since.

Remi

Reaction score
Did Your buddy see many deer like you did? Did he not see "the one" or just no good opportunity?

bbruno

Reaction score
One of the bucks I passed...made a mistake. I should not have. But you live and you learn...make mistakes and move on.

He became one of the top 3 bucks after that error in judgement.

bbruno

Reaction score
Did Your buddy see many deer like you did? Did he not see "the one" or just no good opportunity?
He did. And he wounded a nice one. He saw a lot of nice deer...had a lot crazy hunts. He is not quite as obsessed as I am. No all day sits for him. He got burnt out.

I was so excited when he told he shot one. We trailed for nearly a mile. It was near dark when he shot. Way underestimated yardage. Shot 32...Deer was 42. So shot real low. Very disappointing for both of us.

bbruno

Reaction score
Back home...feels good to hug my kids and wife after being gone 2 weeks.

Thanks for tagging along with me. Good Lord has blessed me with so much more than I deserve.

Tracker270

Reaction score
This thread is unreal your very lucky to have a hunt of a lifetime like this do you go every year? Man you held out a long time but i can see why you did with the deer moving like that and the monsters you had on cam.
Thanks for taking the time out of your hunt to share it all with us such a good read.

bbruno

Reaction score
This thread is unreal your very lucky to have a hunt of a lifetime like this do you go every year? Man you held out a long time but i can see why you did with the deer moving like that and the monsters you had on cam.
Thanks for taking the time out of your hunt to share it all with us such a good read.
I go every year. Been going to KS since 2009. This thread is also for me to keep track of my hunt ...I look back at previous years to see trends, weather patterns and how they relate.
Its all about learning. I learn more about myself each year I hunt. I know where I am lacking and what areas I need to work on. This year, I wanted to shoot a slammer. And I was prepared to go home empty handed...and be ok with it.

Lets just say...next year could be incredible.

JDK

Reaction score
Great buck. Your willpower paid off.

Latest posts