2015 Live Kansas hunting thread

bbruno

Reaction score
Some of you have followed along with my ks trips over the past few years. It's that time of year again!

We will be headed out early morning of 11/5. Pretty excited to say the least. Really hoping to see better age class this year. Ehd really took its toll in 2012. Been rebuilding ever since.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

totalyirish5

Reaction score
Loved reading this last year. Was just thinking the other day that I couldn't remember who wrote it and was looking forward to it this year. Good luck out there.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day #1 - Traveling
Here I sit on the plane ride, due to arrive in hour or so. Than its off to the vehicle rental place to pick up a truck. 2.5 hrs will put us where we need to be. With any luck, we should be on stand for this afternoon. Really looking forward to this year. Crossing my fingers with the EHD. Basically they had 28" of rain in July. Rain makes mud. Mud is where the deer pickup the bots that create EHD. 2012 was a bad year for the deer. Really took it on the chin. Every year since has gotten progressively better.

Hope to hang NW and SW sets today in an area that I was last season. We have a lot of hanging and scouting to do in the next few days. Our goal is always, hang 1 set ahead. Always plan for the next hunt with the wind in mind. 3-4 days in, most stands will be hung and we will have good idea of where we plan on spending out time. Stands change every year. Sometimes, a stand that was good last year is not so good this year.

Looking forward to the next couple weeks. Been a good time hunting in Maine. Did a few different things this year with Maine hunting to avoid burnout. Hunted lot less, scouted lot more. Last year, I was pretty burnt out when I arrived. Weather looks good for our arrival. All in all, things are shaping up to a great year.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day 1 evening on stand
Is anything ever easy? We get to the same property we have hunted for 6 years..this is year #7. Rush around get some sets hung, head to the motel to check in.

Guy in a big truck pulls up next to us. Said he saw us on the property that he has permission to hunt. He pulls out a Plat book at is pretty old and starts telling us the property we are in is his. ....lol. so basically we are trespassing.

Our land owner is going straighten it all out. He was suprised today to find out he did not own the land lol. Man talk about making the blood pressure rise!

Property looks very good this year. Found bunch of good sign...but because of all the stuff mentioned above...we really got the first hunt cut short.

Starting in an inside skinny end of a stunted corn field. Same area I left off hunting last year.

bbruno

Reaction score

This was my view from tonight's short sit. Saw a few deer while hanging sets. But nothing from stand.

bbruno

Reaction score
Day 2 morning
All set up. Perfect morning. Almost legal shooting light. 35 degrees. Hung stand yesterday in the funnel spot. Hunted here on southerly wind in 2013. Last year hunted this funnel a little differently on southerly but really tough setup for a lefty.

Sign looks good this year. Really good to see giant rubs. Have not really seen this since 2011. Just really hoping to see the 4.5 age class this year.

It's legal shooting...here we go.

bbruno

Reaction score
Wow nuts. This cold front has got these deer on feet an rocking.

amclimber

Reaction score
I look forward to this thread each year. Good luck. I look forward to seeing pictures of your success.

bbruno

Reaction score
Just saw one buck that made me grab my and start grunting. He was a good one. He was on a doe and never responded to call.

Latest posts