2015 Colorado Wilderness DIY Mule Deer Hunt

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading this, sounds like you had a great trip. Congrats on the deer. Now that you have been there anything you would do differently?
Hunt slower.... glass more carefully. The biggest deer I saw all week (probably a B&C caliber buck) I jumped 400 yards from the truck while hiking into my "hunting area". Had I hunted my way carefully from the truck and dissected every nook and cranny with my binoculars I likely would have shot a monster. This happened to me several times.

The other thing I will do is train even harder next time. I felt great going out there... but altitude is a bitch. I would put myself at about 80% ready. This allowed me to do very well (logged over 56 miles) but I would have liked to been able to recover quicker from the steep climbs and would like to not be quite as fatigued as I was by the end of the week.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Excellent DIY adventure.

If don't mind me asking, what routine did you use to get in shape for such a hunt?
I used a routine provided to me by fellow huntchat member mbVT. Matt is a physical therapist with background in physical fitness and training. He gave me a routine that I followed that was fantastic.

jvan

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. I have family ouvt in Colorado. They always invite me out to hunt but you might have changed my mind

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. I have family ouvt in Colorado. They always invite me out to hunt but you might have changed my mind
You are crazy not to take advantage of the offer. Colorado really has some great public land hunting if you are willing to log some miles on your boots

moreau1991

Reaction score
Hunt slower.... glass more carefully. The biggest deer I saw all week (probably a B&C caliber buck) I jumped 400 yards from the truck while hiking into my "hunting area". Had I hunted my way carefully from the truck and dissected every nook and cranny with my binoculars I likely would have shot a monster. This happened to me several times.

The other thing I will do is train even harder next time. I felt great going out there... but altitude is a bitch. I would put myself at about 80% ready. This allowed me to do very well (logged over 56 miles) but I would have liked to been able to recover quicker from the steep climbs and would like to not be quite as fatigued as I was by the end of the week.
Deer hunting is one of my favorite types of hunting because it is really interesting and here you have to apply real knowledge in order to attract a deer. My father had been hunting for over 25 years and at one point he suggested me to try and it was interesting for me to try something new in my life, besides the stuffy work in the office. Soon I began to hunt birds and wild boars, but I could not find any deer. Then he gave me several books and advised me to read an article on the site in order to learn how to attract mule deer. It was very educational and I learned a lot and it's a really cool experience!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Deer hunting is one of my favorite types of hunting because it is really interesting and here you have to apply real knowledge in order to attract a deer. My father had been hunting for over 25 years and at one point he suggested me to try and it was interesting for me to try something new in my life, besides the stuffy work in the office. Soon I began to hunt birds and wild boars, but I could not find any deer. Then he gave me several books and advised me to read an article on the site in order to learn how to attract mule deer. It was very educational and I learned a lot and it's a really cool experience!
What continent do you hunt on?

Latest posts