2014 KS Live Hunting Thread

rpc55

Reaction score
Awesome buck!!! Thanks for sharing your hunts with us!

jamiebuck

Reaction score
Awesome thread and some sweet deer, congrats on that bruiser Ben what a beauty thanks for sharing this tread with us I enjoyed the read every year

bbruno

Reaction score
This buck had been chasing a doe around... seen him couple different times. When he came out the second time and saw the doe walk by the decoy it was game on. He came in side stepping all puffed up ready to kill that plastic deer. Shot him at 15 yds quartered away and he dropped in 50 yds.

Its a bittersweet ending that's for sure. Love being here...cannot wait to get home to my wife and kids. Mentally I am drained. I always have hopes and goals to kill a giant but the opportunities just did not present themselves. I had 2 days left to hunt...this buck I thought was a different buck that I knew was 125" ...figured would I rather go home empty or go home with a good buck?

Much to my surprise he was not the buck I thought he was.

bbruno

Reaction score
When I got up to him ....where was the 9th point? Its in this moment as a hunter when you realize what's meant to be...that's what it is.

It has been an awesome hunt this year...the coldest weather I have ever seen in the Midwest. Now its time to go home, regroup and finish out the Maine season.

Escout711

Reaction score
When I got up to him ....where was the 9th point? Its in this moment as a hunter when you realize what's meant to be...that's what it is.

It has been an awesome hunt this year...the coldest weather I have ever seen in the Midwest. Now its time to go home, regroup and finish out the Maine season.
Ben, in, you guys hunted hard, saw buck action that most of us will never see, and you and Dallas just spent 2 weeks living your dreams. I know how much this trip out west means to you every year, and in the end, just having the opportunity to chase your dreams is more important than actually killing the "biggun." I am glad you were able to bag a great buck on the way out, that will look real good on your wall! Are you going to get him weighed?

bbruno

Reaction score
Probably not going to weigh. Local girl wants the deer. So we are not taking to butcher.

Back to Maine...not sure my wife will let me hunt anymore lol

BDB

Reaction score
Congrats on the nice buck! I loved the thread, it was great to see all the action and updates every day!

mdab27

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, Thanks for taking the time to do this Ben. I, for one, appreciate having a glimpse of what it is in the midwest. Someday I would love to get out there and experience this. Just all that chasing, and see that many bucks in one week would be awesome.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
Very enjoyable thread, thanks for sharing and congrats on your buck!!

bbruno

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, Thanks for taking the time to do this Ben. I, for one, appreciate having a glimpse of what it is in the midwest. Someday I would love to get out there and experience this. Just all that chasing, and see that many bucks in one week would be awesome.
The hardest part is finding good ground. I have buddy that has not even seen a 3yr old. This is a piece of ground that I found in 2009...and it has been awesome. If ehd had not hit in 2012...the age class of the deer would be much better....

bbruno

Reaction score
This year we did something a little different with the deer meat. I wish I could take it home. However, just not possible. So the local store we ate lunch at...there was a woman behind the register who said something about her husband not getting a deer and they really liked deer meat. My ears perked up..."hey you would you like a deer if we happen go get one?"

She was thrilled. We stopped by her house yesterday and dropped off the deer. Really works out well as many times the meat locker is closed on the weekends and there is no way to process the deer if we are down to the wire.

It is always pretty cool to meet new people... I am going to miss this place when I leave. Really love this town and the way of life. Some of the friendliest most down to earth people you will ever meet.

Last edited:

bbruno

Reaction score
Here is the buck he shot...we shot them on opposite sides of the property VERY NEAR the same time. Good times!

Latest posts