2013 KS Live Hunting Thread

bbruno

Reaction score
Ben. [email protected] AWESOME!!!!!!
best thread of the year. I'm guilty of checking it several times a day and getting aggravated when you hadn't updated since my last check. Lol.
Congrats. How's your buddy making out?
Buddy has been seeing some good bucks...just not working in his favor. Shifted set to cut deer off when coming through funnel. I went and observed tonight saw does were feeding on standing soybeans. Saw 5 deer feeding. So he is going to shift to this food source for next couple evenings.

bbruno

Reaction score
On the weight...not quite sure if they did hanging weight without hide and head...because they said deer weighed 175# Out here weighing deer is quite foreign to them lol. No one ever weighs deer.

I am going to ask them tomorrow when I get a chance. I was guessing deer at 215-220# which would make sense with hide and head.

Oh well no biggie.

bbruno

Reaction score
This is for all you new england guys...

No more questions about the weight...lol. hopefully we get chance to test today.

UltraTec

Reaction score
WOW!!! Way to go Ben. I missed this thread for a couple days and just came back to it!
Congrats Ben!!

NH-Archer

Reaction score
Speechless..... Congrats!!! Funny scale, why does it go so high???!!!! :rolleyes:

bbruno

Reaction score

And this is how the trip is finished. Best breakfast spot I have ever eaten. Fantastic food.

Remi

Reaction score
Looks good! You could not have asked for a better trip; thanks for the live reports - was awesome reading

bbruno

Reaction score
Kind interesting thing I learned past couple nights. Deer like standing soybeans. I did not think they would feed on dried up beans until December or so. Last couple nights I have been observing. Saw 5 does lambs 2 nights ago. Saw buck and doe last night. Saw 8 does lambs tonight on one field we hunt ....All eating standing beans that were missed. Total deer I saw driving around this square was 15+ on the beans.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Awesome deer Ben and great thread....I've been having issues shitty WIFI so I've missed the last couple days...my loss!!!

bbruno

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning is last sit for Dallas. He has seen some great deer this year. Just has not come together. He is in a great set tomorrow morning... caped out smaller buckin hopes that if he shoots something around same size cape will be frozen and we can grab it and go. One more morning ...hope its a good one.

bbruno

Reaction score
Figured I would add this as one last closing thing. Thought this was a pretty fitting way to end 2013.

Everyone always asks what we do with the meat. Always tell everyone we donate it. Well, landowners wife asked "donate to who?" So she started asking the meatcutter questions. She is a writer. So she decided this was going to be the next story she wrote for the newspaper. Really was great to see the meat being put to good use. The mission is so excited to get the meat, they actually travel from Topeka KS to pick it up.

Here is her article she submitted to the local paper...

Four years ago two hunters from Maine found us by using Google Earth (a virtual globe, map and geographical information program).

The first two years they drove to Kansas and took the deer they shot back to Maine. But this year and the last two years, they have donated the venison to Kansas Hunters Feeding the Hungry (http://www.kshfh.org). Just one deer can feed about 200 people. In 2012, there were 991 deer and 18 elk donated to provide almost 245,000 meals.

KSHFH encourages hunters to donate legally harvested deer or elk to participating meat processors. “There is no cost to donate your deer or elk as long as the KSHFH organization has sufficient funding to cover the processing expense.” The hunters from Maine gave Don Zabokrtsky twenty dollars to process the meat which will be donated to the Topeka Rescue Mission (Some deer meat is also donated to the local food bank.)

Last year Bob's Meat Locker shipped 3,523 pounds of venison to Topeka. In the past four years more than 13,400 pounds have been donated from Washington.

The Topeka Rescue Mission (http://trmonline.org/) is a homeless shelter which has served Topeka for more than 60 years, providing food, shelter, clothing, training and hope to homeless and impoverished men, women and children. In 2012, the mission sheltered 2,157 people and provided more than 547,746 meals.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Great trip Ben!! Two beautiful bucks!! Congrats & thanks for keeping us entertained with the running reports!

Escout711

Reaction score
Figured I would add this as one last closing thing. Thought this was a pretty fitting way to end 2013.

Everyone always asks what we do with the meat. Always tell everyone we donate it. Well, landowners wife asked "donate to who?" So she started asking the meatcutter questions. She is a writer. So she decided this was going to be the next story she wrote for the newspaper. Really was great to see the meat being put to good use. The mission is so excited to get the meat, they actually travel from Topeka KS to pick it up.

Here is her article she submitted to the local paper...

Four years ago two hunters from Maine found us by using Google Earth (a virtual globe, map and geographical information program).

The first two years they drove to Kansas and took the deer they shot back to Maine. But this year and the last two years, they have donated the venison to Kansas Hunters Feeding the Hungry (http://www.kshfh.org). Just one deer can feed about 200 people. In 2012, there were 991 deer and 18 elk donated to provide almost 245,000 meals.

KSHFH encourages hunters to donate legally harvested deer or elk to participating meat processors. “There is no cost to donate your deer or elk as long as the KSHFH organization has sufficient funding to cover the processing expense.” The hunters from Maine gave Don Zabokrtsky twenty dollars to process the meat which will be donated to the Topeka Rescue Mission (Some deer meat is also donated to the local food bank.)

Last year Bob's Meat Locker shipped 3,523 pounds of venison to Topeka. In the past four years more than 13,400 pounds have been donated from Washington.

The Topeka Rescue Mission (http://trmonline.org/) is a homeless shelter which has served Topeka for more than 60 years, providing food, shelter, clothing, training and hope to homeless and impoverished men, women and children. In 2012, the mission sheltered 2,157 people and provided more than 547,746 meals.
Ben, that is just awesome! Glad you decided to "take us along for the ride" on your hunt, you guys are living the dream.

Latest posts